X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining contig stats from Velvet+Oases

Hey all,

Here's a laydown of my information.

We sequenced a transcriptome. The company returned to us 4 different reads of that same transcriptome.

We ran FastQC and trimmed all 4 paired reads individually. We had some contamination issues, so we ran DeconSeq on all 4 reads.

We ran through the velvet+oases pipeline using Kmergenie for our k-mer count.

We concatenated the final oases outputs into one fasta file. This contained 4 repeats of our transcripts.

We ran through the Velvet+Oases + kmergenie pipeline again, this time utilizing the "merged" option.

We took the single output from Oases and ran it against CD-HITs to merge the similar sequences together.

Now, we have a final fasta file containing around 37,000 transcripts.

How can I obtain the contig stats for this final file? I've read countless papers which outline the following core-information:

Contig Number
    Maximum Contig Length
    Minimum Contig length
    Average Contig Length
    N50 Length
    Number of Reads per contig

I looked at the "stats.txt" file from Oases, but nothing is given in this format.

How would I go about generating that info?

Thank you.

If you download the BBTools package, it contains a program for generating assembly statistics:

stats.sh in=contigs.fa

For the number of reads per contig, though, you will need to use mapping, and the answer will be subjective, particularly for a transcriptome. That said, you can determine it like this:

bbmap.sh ref=contigs.fa in=reads.fq covstats=covstats.txt

The columns of "covstats" labeled "Plus_reads" and "Minus_reads" will tell you how many reads map to each contig. It's probably easiest if you first concatenate all of your read input files together (all the read1 files into one file and all the read2 files into another) and feed them with "in1" and "in2".

-Brian

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses