X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• count reads on exons and introns for each transcripts

Hi,

I would like to ask for an advice:

I have an RNA-seq bam-file and i have to count the exonic reads and intronic reads for each annotated refseq transcript.

So, in the end I would like to have a table of something like this:

name - - - reands on exons - - - reads on introns

nm_00001 - - - 3214 - - - 1025
    Could somebody please tell me a simple way to count reads on summa exons and summa introns for each transcripts? ( for each refseq gene ?)

I was thinking about this method:

First splitting the bam.file into only exonic reads and intronic reads using:
    Code:
    bedtools intersect -split -bed -a bam.file -b exonscoordinates.bed > exonicreads.bed
    bedtools intersect -split -bed -a bam.file -b intronscoordinates.bed > intronicreads.bed
    Then count reads on each gene from each intron/exon.bed file separately.
    (however i am afraid that the exon-exon junction reads will be counted twice by this way... right?)

Thank you in advance for the help.
    If i happened to miss an existing thread about this/similar problem, please let me know.
    Last edited by krapulaxdoctor; 09-03-2015, 01:21 AM. Reason: to be more accurate

I would recommend HTSeq count (http://www-huber.embl.de/users/ander...doc/count.html). With -t you can specify the feature type on which you count (e.g. intron or exon). By making two runs, one for exons and one for introns, you should get the results you want.

Comment

Denote, transcripts of the same gene share at least one common exon or parts of the same. The same holds true for introns / overlapping parts of two introns.
      Therefore, you cannot assign a read of a shared feature unambiguously to a certain transcript just by counting. That is one reason why programs like cufflinks or eXpress are assigning abundances to transcript with statistical routines.

If you still want to continue the read-count per exon approach, I would recommend to use DEXSeq (which has a python script for counting exon reads).

Comment

Thank you for the quick responses.
        I will look after the mentioned programs.

Is there any software available that does count reads on introns the same way as it is mentioned in the case of cufflinks/eXpress?

Comment

As in, is there something that will do some form of expectation maximization to get at an estimated count/TPM/FPKM? Not directly. Are you trying to probe intron retention? If so, I just talked a colleague who's doing that into just using Salmon and mapping against the transcriptome with/without introns. That seems to work well.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses