Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I apply DESeq to techinical replicates??

Hi guys,

I've been dealing with RNA-seq count data consisting of several technical replicates.
    And I tried to normalize the data using DESeq.
    However, the DESeq author suggested to apply DESeq to biological replicates not to technical replicates.
    Anyone knows the reason for this??
    Why can't I apply DESeq normalization to my technical replicates????

Also, is there any method to normalize a technical replicates effectively??

Thank you for reading.

The normalization is meant to take the biological variations into account, IIRC.
    The variance in the technical replicates will be lesser than in biological replicates, therefore the normalization will not have the right impact (less, I'd guess).

If you're sure that there is no big biological variation between your tested subjects, then I guess it might not matter too much at the end, but I'd be cautious about the results.

Comment

a confused point...

Thanks for your reply. But I thought that DESeq normalization simply adjusts each column's library size for further analysis. So, I thought that I could use DESeq to technical replicates if there there is library size difference between each of the samples. Do I have some misunderstandings???

Comment

a confused point...

Originally posted by bastianwur View Post
        The normalization is meant to take the biological variations into account, IIRC.
        The variance in the technical replicates will be lesser than in biological replicates, therefore the normalization will not have the right impact (less, I'd guess).

If you're sure that there is no big biological variation between your tested subjects, then I guess it might not matter too much at the end, but I'd be cautious about the results.
        Thanks for your reply. But I thought that DESeq normalization simply adjusts each column's library size for further analysis. So, I thought that I could use DESeq to technical replicates if there there is library size difference between each of the samples. Do I have some misunderstandings???

Comment

Simon and others can correct me if I'm wrong, but the per-library normalization strategy taken by DESeq should be applicable to technical replicates as well. It is the model for differential expression that models biological variance rather than technical.

You should also know that technical variance in RNA-seq is generally considered trivial compared to biological..

Comment

The normal method is to simply sum the counts across technical replicates and use those. In fact, this is also by far the most legitimate method to deal with technical replicates, unless you want to use a tool that implements mixed-effects modeling (and then you get to deal with all of the annoyances of mixed-effects models). I would be surprised if not doing this didn't lead to aberrant results, even if you try to throw extra model terms in to compensate for the design aberrantly thinking it has more samples than it really does.

Edit: BTW, as fanli wrote, the library size normalization itself shouldn't have any issues.

Comment

Hi, maybe you can ask the professionals in CD Genomics, they can help you with your problem.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses