Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitochondrial genome sequencing

I would like to ask for some help with my project. My aim is to sequence several mitochondrial genomes. I decided to amplify every genome in 2 or 3 amplicons (which would be about 8-10kbp), and then sequence them on both strands using 454 technology.
    I’m sorry for being very basic. But I’m a little bit confused. I decided to use NGS because overall it would be cheaper than Sanger sequencing (at least I hope so).

So this is how I understand the workflow: I amplify my genomes in 3 amplicons, then I nebulize my products in order to get fragments which would be appropriate for sequencing. Then I add adapters and MIDs (different MIDs for different genomes) and pool it together.

How do I know what surface of a plate I need in order to sequence my data with reasonable coverage?

In my lab, I’m able to amplify my DNA only, and I’m wondering if every service provider is able to do the rest.

Many thanks

For each mtDNA you would need 60X depth to be ultra confident in your sequencing, which assuming a mtDNA size of 17kb would mean you'll need a little over 1 Mb to sequence the mitochondrial chromosome.

Assuming a standard 454 Titanium run, minimum ouput is as follows (per region)

LV run (2 region) 180Mb
    LV/MV run (4 region) 60Mb
    SV/MV run (8 region) 30Mb
    SV run (16 region) 10Mb

So you could theoretically get 10 samples per SV region.

We're a core lab and routinely prep libraries and sequence for people, but we aren't able to offer partial plates as we just don't have the demand or throughput to do it. I'd be interested to know a service provider that does so I can send our small projects to them.

Also, have you considered using the MiSeq for this kind of work. It'll more than likely work out cheaper (even though the sequencing is massively overkill).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
    0 responses