Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help installing/running TopHat and Cufflinks

I need to use TopHat and Cufflinks, for which I must obtain Bowtie2, Boost, and SAM tools. I have managed to successfully install Bowtie2, but I've had no such luck with the other two. I'm using a Mac (OS X version 10.7.4), and I'm not the administrator (don't think that's the issue, given the error messages I get). I was wondering if I could get some help.

I have downloaded the two files (boost_1_52_0.tar.bz2 and tabix-0.2.6.tar.bz2 from here and here, respectively) as linked in the TopHat website. They are now in my desktop, i.e. /Users/ifyouseqamy/Desktop/boost_1_52_0.tar.bz2 and /Users/ifyouseqamy/Desktop/tabix-0.2.6.tar.bz2).

On Terminal, I've accessed my institution's server via SSH (where I'd be using TopHat and Cufflinks) and inserted the following in the command line, as instructed in the Boost website:

tar --bzip2 -xf /Users/ifyouseqamy/Desktop/boost_1_52_0.tar.bz2/

This is what I get:

tar: /Users/ifyouseqamy/Desktop/boost_1_52_0.tar.bz2/: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I get the same error messages when I try the SAM tools .tar.bz2 file.

Then I thought I'd use this to get the .tar file first:

bzip2 -d /Users/ifyouseqamy/Desktop/boost_1_52_0.tar.bz2/

Followed by:

tar -xvf /Users/ifyouseqamy/Desktop/boost_1_52_0.tar.bz2/

But I get this after I attempt the first command:

bzip2: Can't open input file /Users/job2052/Desktop/boost_1_52_0.tar.bz2: No such file or directory.

So, it seems as though there's "No such file in directory"! Except there is. I have no idea what's going on. Help, please!

Try this:

tar -xjf /Users/ifyouseqamy/Desktop/boost_1_52_0.tar.bz2

Don't put the trailing slash / at the end of a file name.

I have tophat and cufflinks running on a MacPro box and I don't remember having to install boost. Are you sure you need it? Are you installing the precompiled binaries of tophat and cufflinks?

Comment

Thanks, Mike!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses