No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• error in generation of the velvet_asm.afg file

Hello,

I have been working on de-novo genome assembly using the Velvet algorithm. Of the 10,000 contigs generated in my contigs.fasta file, the .afg file generated at by Velvet contains only information for the first 4,000 contigs. I do have plenty of storage left and I am not exactly sure as to what is going on. Has anyone else run into a similar problem or do you guys have any thoughts on this?

Thank you for your time.

Akshaya

error in generation of the velvet_asm.afg file

Are your contigs ordered by size, is it cutting out the smaller ones for some reason?

I had a lot of problems generating velvet .afg files when I was using a desktop computer that kept running out of memory, I haven't had any more problems since I've been working with smaller files and a more powerful computer.

Comment

Thank you so much for getting back to me.
      My contigs are ordered by size, from the smallest to largest. It cuts off contigs that are larger in size (all contigs above 20,000 bp are cut-off). I have been using Tablet (http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/tablet/download.shtml) to view my .afg files. I assumed that there might be an issue with the memory as well, however I do not receive any error message (I received an error message earlier when I ran out of memory with my .afg files).
      I am using a desktop computer as well, I will try using a more powerful computer. Also, could you tell me what program you were/are using to view your .afg files?

Comment

error in generation of the velvet asm.afg file

I was using Tablet too, and having to make .afg files for individual contigs because it kept running out of memory. I then tried using Hawkeye.

Comment

Originally posted by mastal View Post
          I was using Tablet too, and having to make .afg files for individual contigs because it kept running out of memory. I then tried using Hawkeye.
          Thank you so much for the suggestion. It took me a while to install qt4 and AMOS. when I try to open my file using hawkeye, I get a error message saying

cannot connect to X server

Did you ever run into this problem/know what is going on?

Thanks again,
          Akshaya

Comment

where are you running hawkeye from? If you're running this from a machine that you have ssh'ed into - you need to login like this:

ssh -X [email protected]

Hawkeye is trying to launch the GUI and running into an issue with (I think) the X11 server. And man do I feel you about the issues getting qt4 and AMOS installed... phew! just did that...

Comment

I did not have xming installed on my system. Its working now. Thank you.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses