Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiSeq Windows PC Unlock Codes...

Illumina "prohibits" accessing the actual Windows desktop of the MiSeq by requiring an unlock code which changes...in reality this just means you have to call Tech Support every day and ask for a code.

I've only been playing with these codes for the past two days...but the codes work on both of our instruments, regardless of which one I'm calling about.

I'm fully expecting ILMN to remove this feature as it's just an annoyance...but I thought it would be fun to compare notes and see if we can figure out their scheme. Similar to Nick's efforts to determine the numbers of instruments in the wild, World War II style: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3121

I started a wiki page of the codes/dates I have so far...try them on your instruments...http://seqanswers.com/wiki/MiSeq_Unlock_Codes

Just confirmed that both codes from yesterday and today work on both instruments...

If you haven't done this yet, click on the blue help (?), then on "About". Then click the picture of the miseq. Then enter the code.

If you break your instrument I'm not responsible.

Comment

Must be using the date as a key. If you can dis-assemble the binary code, you can often figure these things out. Just where is the password prompt, in the startup? Can you figure out what program is prompting you to enter a password?

Comment

The password prompt is buried in the control software, which is a windows application...but disassembly is way beyond me.

Comment

It's an Illumina program, not the "windows login" prompt, though. Is it controlling access to the entire windows user interface, or just to the illumina programs?

Comment

It's an embedded Windows 7 installation, which auto-loads Illumina's GUI...which doesn't let you "quit" back out to windows without said code.

Comment

Actually...the code is entirely unnecessary...

1. Plug in a keyboard...hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete
              2. Open Task Manager
              3. "End Task" on MiSeq Control Software
              4. Windows desktop will appear
              5. File-->New Task ("Run")--> Type "Explorer" <enter>

Code not necessary.

Comment

Crap! Expected the MiSeek to be running native linux.....
                We'll have one very soon.....have to rethink data push/pull mechanism to our server for primary QC and data sharing...

Comment

Hopefully illumina allows you to mount a CIFS/samba share on the MiSeq.

Just choose to write the data directly to this shared drive. No push/pull required (if the MiSeq software follows the same principle of HiSeq).

Originally posted by AlexB View Post
                  Crap! Expected the MiSeek to be running native linux.....
                  We'll have one very soon.....have to rethink data push/pull mechanism to our server for primary QC and data sharing...

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                    Hopefully illumina allows you to mount a CIFS/samba share on the MiSeq.

Just choose to write the data directly to this shared drive. No push/pull required (if the MiSeq software follows the same principle of HiSeq).
                    It does, but it's a little buggy creating fastq's on the shared drive...I'm sure they'll fix that soon.

Comment

It definitely let's you map and mount a share, but as I just found out, if you share any directories on the MiSeq they revert to not shared after reboot.

Just annoying.

Comment

In what way is this buggy? Are you referring to the data analysis that happens on the MiSeq computer?

Is it possible to turn the on-instrument analysis off (I know it is meant to be a convenience for labs that do not have an IT infrastructure in place) and write the BCL files to the shared drive?

Originally posted by ECO View Post
                        It does, but it's a little buggy creating fastq's on the shared drive...I'm sure they'll fix that soon.

Comment

It definitely let's you map and mount a share, but as I just found out, if you share any directories on the MiSeq they revert to not shared after reboot.

Just annoying.
                          So how then are labs dealing with the data flow? They let users get their data on usbsticks or do they require to send them over the network?
                          Then the users most likely need to upload their data to the server for QC and post processing? Looks like a long road for something simple.

Our option would be to let the primary data analysis automatically on MiSeek and port the resultant fastq file (which the users want anyway) to be pushed to the server where it will be acked-up and where it can go through a default QC and extra options pipe line during the night for instance.... would that sound possible without manual intervention?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                            In what way is this buggy? Are you referring to the data analysis that happens on the MiSeq computer?

Is it possible to turn the on-instrument analysis off (I know it is meant to be a convenience for labs that do not have an IT infrastructure in place) and write the BCL files to the shared drive?
                            The data is written to the instrument hard drive (of course) which you can't access (heh), and then should be copied to your desired server location (which can be a mapped share).

There are no fastq's generated "by default" when you perform a run. It requires the secondary pipeline run via MiSeq Reporter (which processes on the instrument)...and we haven't had a successful run that 1) generates the fastQ's AND 2) copies them to our server in an automated fashion. Writing the BCL's seems to work ok every time now.

Originally posted by AlexB View Post
                            So how then are labs dealing with the data flow? They let users get their data on usbsticks or do they require to send them over the network?
                            Then the users most likely need to upload their data to the server for QC and post processing? Looks like a long road for something simple.

Our option would be to let the primary data analysis automatically on MiSeek and port the resultant fastq file (which the users want anyway) to be pushed to the server where it will be acked-up and where it can go through a default QC and extra options pipe line during the night for instance.... would that sound possible without manual intervention?
                            See above...I have no idea why I have to run the "Resequencing" secondary analysis pipeline to get fastq's. Today (on my instruments) the above is not possible without some brute force. They know this and are fixing it. Hopefully soon.

Comment

Just annoying.
                              it is due to the the EWF (Enhanced Write Filter) activated in windows : you can do evertything you want in the C: drive (installing software, write files...), but by default, when you reboot your computer, all your modifications are lost. It's a system protection...

EWF can be disabled, at least temporarily...there's a a field service bulletin for that. In the near future, they will manage EWF through MCS.
                              Last edited by gerald2545; 11-22-2011, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses