Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I write a bash command to blast local nt database?

I have been reading this.

I was able to write a basic query using blast n as follows:
    Code:
    blastn -db ~/programming/blastexample/db/tdb -query ~/programming/blastexample/db/even_tribolium.fasta
    It seems to me that I must replace tdb (I used makedb to create this) with the downloaded local nt database?

However, I now downloaded nt into local database and I have the following questions:
    • How can I blast my fasta file against local nt blast database?
    • Are there options only to output the species name, contig, and E-value?
    • Where did my nt local blast database go? ha ha ha.

Thanks for considering my question and your patience. I am very new to all of this.

Originally posted by hyates View Post
    I have been reading this.

I was able to write a basic query using blast n as follows:
    Code:
    blastn -db ~/programming/blastexample/db/tdb -query ~/programming/blastexample/db/even_tribolium.fasta
    It seems to me that I must replace tdb (I used makedb to create this) with the downloaded local nt database?

However, I now downloaded nt into local database and I have the following questions:
    • How can I blast my fasta file against local nt blast database?
    • Are there options only to output the species name, contig, and E-value?
    • Where did my nt local blast database go? ha ha ha.

Thanks for considering my question and your patience. I am very new to all of this.
    Some questions for you:

1. Did you download all pre-formatted nt.nn.tar.gz files from this link: ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db/ and unzip them in a single directory. Do not do anything else to the files. This database is pre-formatted.

When using the database provide -db /path_to/nt (do not worry about file numbers).

2. Output options for blast: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NB...BLAST_search_r
    If you don't like what you see there are custom parsers available to get just what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Some questions for you:

1. Did you download all pre-formatted nt.nn.tar.gz files from this link: ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db/ and unzip them in a single directory. Do not do anything else to the files. This database is pre-formatted.

When using the database provide -db /path_to/nt (do not worry about file numbers).

2. Output options for blast: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NB...BLAST_search_r
      If you don't like what you see there are custom parsers available to get just what you need.
      • I ran ./update_blastdb.pl nt but I don't think I specified a directory. Oh no...
      • Thanks for the link to options. I am hopeful it has what I need since I am asking for basic fields.

Comment

• I ran ./update_blastdb.pl nt but I don't think I specified a directory. Oh no...
        This would be a large download. So depending on bandwidth available it could take some time. Make sure you have enough space available on disk and do not do this via wi-fi

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          This would be a large download. So depending on bandwidth available it could take some time. Make sure you have enough space available on disk and do not try this on wi-fi
          Thanks. I think I tried this before and put it in the directory with update_blastdb.pl, so I moved the files to a new directory. However, I am rerunning the command into a directory I wish for it to be in.

So, in theory, this command should work with the local blast nt I download, right? In otherwords, blast my fasta file against the local nt database?
          Code:
          blastn -db ~/path/to/my/local/nt/db -query ~/path/to/this/fasta/even_tribolium.fasta
          Last edited by hyates; 03-05-2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks. I think I tried this before and put it in the directory with update_blastdb.pl, so I moved the files to a new directory. However, I am rerunning the command into a directory I wish for it to be in.

So, in theory, this command should work with the local blast nt I download, right? In otherwords, blast my fasta file against the local nt database?
            Code:
            blastn -db ~/path/to/my/local/nt/db -query ~/path/to/this/fasta/even_tribolium.fasta
            You minimally want something like this, if you want click-able html output:
            Code:
            $ blastn –query ~/path/to/this/fasta/even_tribolium.fasta -db /path_to/nt -task blastn -html -out out.html

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses