No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bfast output and "Empty Sequence Dictionary" in .sam output

Hi there,
    I've recently been struggling with the .sam output file from BFAST postprocess. My goal is to get this output into a .ace format. Anthony Fejes recently tweaked the ConvertToAce utility within the Vancouver Short Read Analysis Package to accept .sam input files. However, when the utility runs I get an output like this:

Code:
    Line 950
    Line: SRR026786.11209822        0       2010_05_14_New_Consensus_237-1  1130   255      23M4I9M *       0       0       TATCCACTGCACTCCACTCCACTGCCGCCGCTTCGT   IAIII;IFII+II>I)DAEI&>0+43$20*%2)*#"     PG:Z:bfast      AS:i:275        NM:i:9 NH:i:1   IH:i:1  HI:i:1  MD:Z:A7C14^GCCG1TA4A1   XA:i:3
    Ignoring SAM validation error due to lenient parsing:
    Error parsing text SAM file. Empty sequence dictionary.; File SRR026786_postprocess_nounmapped.sam;
    When I used the ValidateSamFile utility from Picard to check my .sam file, I get an error output saying that all of the lines have an empty sequence dictionary.

The only processing that I've done to the .sam file between BFAST postprocess and the ConvertToAce utility is to remove unmapped reads using samtools view with the following options:

Code:
    samtools view SRR026786_postprocess.sam -S -F 4 -o SRR026786_postprocess_nounmapped.sam
    ...Which makes me wonder why the Empty Sequence Dictionary error would occur unless there was some issue upstream in the work flow.

Has anyone else had any issues with Empty Sequence Dictionary in BFAST postprocess .sam output files? Can anyone think of a work around? I know that Picard has the CreateSequenceDictionary utility, but I'm not sure how I could use this to add a sequence dictionary to each aligned read in my .sam file.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Aiden

Originally posted by aiden View Post
    Hi there,
    I've recently been struggling with the .sam output file from BFAST postprocess. My goal is to get this output into a .ace format. Anthony Fejes recently tweaked the ConvertToAce utility within the Vancouver Short Read Analysis Package to accept .sam input files. However, when the utility runs I get an output like this:

Code:
    Line 950
    Line: SRR026786.11209822        0       2010_05_14_New_Consensus_237-1  1130   255      23M4I9M *       0       0       TATCCACTGCACTCCACTCCACTGCCGCCGCTTCGT   IAIII;IFII+II>I)DAEI&>0+43$20*%2)*#"     PG:Z:bfast      AS:i:275        NM:i:9 NH:i:1   IH:i:1  HI:i:1  MD:Z:A7C14^GCCG1TA4A1   XA:i:3
    Ignoring SAM validation error due to lenient parsing:
    Error parsing text SAM file. Empty sequence dictionary.; File SRR026786_postprocess_nounmapped.sam;
    When I used the ValidateSamFile utility from Picard to check my .sam file, I get an error output saying that all of the lines have an empty sequence dictionary.

The only processing that I've done to the .sam file between BFAST postprocess and the ConvertToAce utility is to remove unmapped reads using samtools view with the following options:

Code:
    samtools view SRR026786_postprocess.sam -S -F 4 -o SRR026786_postprocess_nounmapped.sam
    ...Which makes me wonder why the Empty Sequence Dictionary error would occur unless there was some issue upstream in the work flow.

Has anyone else had any issues with Empty Sequence Dictionary in BFAST postprocess .sam output files? Can anyone think of a work around? I know that Picard has the CreateSequenceDictionary utility, but I'm not sure how I could use this to add a sequence dictionary to each aligned read in my .sam file.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Aiden
    Use the "-h" option with samtools view, otherwise the SAM header (with the sequence dictionary) will not be outputted by "samtools view".

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses