Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homemade barcode with degenerated 5' sequences?

Hi everyone,

In order to reduce the library preparation cost, I am thinking of use my own barcode system by incorporating the 6bp barcodes at the 5' of forward primers. However, if I only have, say 4 samples, the base complexity would be rather low as I imagined. Therefore, I am posting out another of my thoughts for you to evaluate.

How about add extra 4 degenerated bases before the barcode? Each forward primer would look like this:
    XXXX-GACTTA-forward primer
    ------
    XXXX Degenerated bases
    GACTTA one of the 6base barcodes

If this design would work, we should be able to pool as few as two samples for deep sequencing.

The price for primers with a few degenerated bases is the same as the regular primer.

Any comments?
    Thanks.
    Jim

Hi Jim,

I assume that you're talking about amplicon sequencing? If I read you right, then you're sequencing through your 4N mix, then the barcode, and then the F primer? The 4N mix would create the even base distribution that the analysis software needs in order to properly set intensity thresholds and baselines. You would still have an immediate problem though during the barcode and more importantly the primer sequencing as the base composition would be too identical. If you're doing this on a MiSeq you have the added issue that the base composition per color channel needs to be even as well.

I'd be interested in hearing more about what you're trying to do exactly and how best to create primers to handle both low and high-plexity sequencing.

Comment

Hi Jim,
      That should work. I recently did a run where my design was

Universal Adapter Sequencing primer diversity clamp
      AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC TCaCTAGcatatgcgaagcagcatgacttct NNNNNN CAGGTTGATAATGACAAAC
      For a published example, see Table 1 in the Supplementary Info of

I chose IDT's standard machine mixing, which seems to work fine for generating sufficient diversity
      Last edited by MG1655; 08-12-2012, 09:00 AM. Reason: more iinfo

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses