No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with FLX 454

Hi Everybody,

I need help with FLX454. I want to get random sequences from a plant genome where no genomic data available. I would like to use these random sequences later in SSR identification which would be later my tools in phylogenetic studies. I've just started to learn about these next-generation sequencing.

My questions could be so basic about the system and the methodology of shotgun sequencing. I thought about making shotgun sequencing in FLX, but I don't have a budget enough to sequence the whole genome. So how can I use shotgun sequencing for partial sequencing of this plants genome? Should I somehow try to specify my DNA pool for sequencing ? If so how can I make this?
    Could someone help me? I urgently need understand the system so please help me , thanks a lot!

Hi,

Since you know nothing about your genome, you won't be able to to some sort of reduction straight away. Normally, I would have said use mRNA/cDNA sequencing to reduce the amount of sequence, bu I guess that won't work for SSRs.

There are people out there who use AFLPs and sequence the bands, but with varying success...

Good luck,

flxlex

Good luck,

Comment

To isolate microsatellites (SSRs), I think you could make magnetic beads (dynabeads) with a particular microsat sequence attached (ATATATATATAT for instance). Chop up the DNA, and isolate the DNA ATATATATAT containing DNA (and surrounding regions) with the dynabeads. You could do that for a bunch of different microsat sequences. Then you could pool all of the isolated DNA and 454 sequence it. Might be cheaper to clone and Sanger sequence though, unless you need a lot of loci. I think this is a pretty standard approach to SSR isolation.
      But if you are heading into the world of nextgen sequencing, perhaps there is a next gen approach to your phylogenetic question that would save time and money and get you way more data. Why go back to old-fashioned SSRs?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses