Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot understand Tophat output... Help!

Hello All,

I built an index using Drosophila genes giving the bowtie-build command. This worked just fine and I got the six files. Then I ran Tophat from the same folder using the following command

tophat --solexa1.3-quals -p 4 GeneIndex path_to_reads

My reads are unpaired. The output says that the Tophat run was OK. There is nothing in the error file. However in the tophat_out folder, I get the following files and directories.

File: GeneIndex.fa
    File: left_kept_reads.fq
    Folders: log, tmp

Within these folders I do not find the files accepted.sam and junctions.bed. What am I doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Thank you
    Abhijit

Hello,

Tophat seems to have run properly, the error output has no warnings. However the accepted.sam file shows no hits. The junctions.bed file is 1.3 MB. Anyone faced a similar problem?

Thanks
    Abhijit

Comment

Hello,

Following up on this, I wanted to know if indexing of all genes is possible or not in the first place. My genes.fasta file looks something like this.

Code:
      >FBgn0034974 type=gene; loc=2R:19969255..19973683; ID=FBgn0034974; name=CG16786; dbxref=FlyBase:FBgn0034974,FlyBase:FBan0016786,FlyBase_Annotation_IDs:CG16786,GB:BI363616,GB:BT001664,GB_protein:AAN71419,GB_protein:AAF47161,GB_protein:AAM68305,UniProt/TrEMBL:Q7JRF0,INTERPRO:IPR011071,EntrezGene:37856,BIOGRID:63435,DroID:FBgn0034974,DRSC:FBgn0034974,FlyAtlas:CG16786-RA,flyexpress:FBgn0034974,FlyMine:FBgn0034974,GenomeRNAi_gene:37856,modMine:FBgn0034974; derived_computed_cyto=60B8-60B9%3B Limits computationally determined from genome sequence between @P{lacW}Phm<up>k07623</up>@%26@P{lacW}tsr<up>k05633</up>@ and @P{EP}EP503@; gbunit=AE013599; MD5=4a28df05c5f7a49b8fd75a28e3b5759e; length=4429; release=r5.27; species=Dmel; 
      CGGATTCGGATTCAGATTCACATTCAGATTCAGATACGTTCGGTTTGGGA
      TTCGGATTCATTCGTTGCCACTCCAGCTCTATGCTCCGCGTTGGACCCAC
      CGATAGCTTGGCTTTCTGCTACAGTTTCATAATTGTCTCGGCCAGCAGCA
      GCGGAGTTCATGATTTCGCTCGGAATATGTTTTAGCCAGATCAGTGCTTG
      GAAAATGCACTTTTGAGCGTGTACGTGTATGTGGCAAGTAGCTGGCGAAC
      GTGAATGAAAACATGAGCTGCCACTGAACGAAACCCACTCTCGAGCTGGA
      AGTGCAAGTGAGTTATCCCGCGGAAGAAAAGAAACTGAATTGATTACCAT
      TACCATTCGCGGAGTAGCAGTCTCGGAATTAAATACCAACGACCCAGACA
      ATACCGAGCCCAGTTCCAAGCTGGAGGCTCAAGCCTTTCTCTATTCAATG
      Do I need to re-import a modified fasta file which has a shorter head information? There seems to be a lot of characters in the header which I cannot understand.

thanks
      Abhijit

Comment

Hi,

You should build a new bowtie index of the Drosophila genome and not of the individual genes as TopHat is designed to align RNA-seq reads against a full genome. This might explain the behaviour of TopHat, although it should have aligned some reads after all. Perhaps the characters in the fasta headers are causing trouble or there are too many contigs for TopHat to handle well.

Comment

Hi Thomas,

I ran Tophat on the chromosomes and it works wonderfully. I think the fasta header might be the one to blame, since there are characters such as %@><{} etc. It appeared to me as some sort of construct info. Anyways I removed everything except the name of the sequence, and am building the gene index again. Lets see. However, the gene file that I am building the index from is 85 MB in size containing 14964 genes. You think this may cause a problem? Thanks for your help.

Abhijit

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses