X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina Metagenomics data

Hi All,
    I am new member to this forum.
    Earlier i used to work with 454 data, now i am switching to illumina.
    I am getting around 300 million reads (100bp) and its a metagenomic sample. So i am really confused about how to start my analysis.
    Earlier i used approaches like blastx but now i think this is not a good option.
    So i was just wondering if anyone had done something like this or have some idea on this.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks
    SS

Is it a 16S or WGS sample?

Comment

Its a metagenomics environmental sample (no 16s).

Comment

The real question is....what's the question? Are you looking for specific genes, or want to take an inventory of all genes?

Have you tried assembling the reads yet? That's always a little sketchy with mixed communities, but it might be a good place to start.

Comment

thanks for your input themerlin,
          Actually mainly its going to be a community study (in nut shell i need to annotate all of the sequences)
          Yes i tried assembly but it doesn't look good, but yes i will try again with different programs.

Comment

Is this just sequence data from DNA straight from the environment, or did you clone it into vectors first?

I handle metagenomics data, we do it in fosmids though, so it's easy to assemble contigs from one fosmid (phred/phrap). Trying to do the whole environment at once will likely be tougher. Once I have contigs, we use blastx to looks for homology and tools like fgenesb to find ORFs.

Comment

hi i am new to this site can anyone tell me about effective working in schrodinger plz pass useful video tutorials if possible,

Comment

Take a look at MG-RAST for annotation of your data http://metagenomics.nmpdr.org.
                Originally posted by ssharma View Post
                Hi All,
                I am getting around 300 million reads (100bp) and its a metagenomic sample. So i am really confused about how to start my analysis.
                Earlier i used approaches like blastx but now i think this is not a good option.
                So i was just wondering if anyone had done something like this or have some idea on this.

Thanks
                SS

Comment

Hi,

What do you mean by "annotate" ? Are you looking at "who is there" or "what are the functions" ?
                  Do you have reference genomes at hand, or genomes of organisms close to the ones in your sample ? Do you have an idea of the complexity of the population ? Is it eukaryote or microbes, or both ?
                  You can consider first trying to have an idea of the composition of your population, looking at some marker genes (eg : trying to find 16S or 18S reads in your dataset by mapping against reference databases)
                  If you have known reference genomes, you can also map reads against them, to evaluate the complexity/diversity
                  For a first glimpse at functions, you can try UniRef50 or KEGG genes (or any other functionally classified reference protein set) as a proxy.

Comment

You can try WebMGA: http://weizhong-lab.ucsd.edu/metagenomic-analysis/

Comment

You can try approaches like
                      -de novo assembly (metaVelvet, Abyss etc)
                      -fast clustering - (CD-Hit, RAMMCAP)
                      -reference based alignment (Genometa)

Comment

I would trim the reads (based on qual and remove adapters), then start assembling.
                        If you would like to know who are there, you could use MG-RAST or just blastn your trimmed reads against greengenes or SILVA 16S databases.

Comment

Originally posted by ssharma View Post
                          Hi All,

Thanks
                          SS

You can reduce the volume of data by doing a de novo assembly.

HTML Code:
                          mpiexec -n 64 Ray \
                           -k \
                           31 \
                           -p \
                           Sample/ERR011142_1.fastq.gz \
                           Sample/ERR011142_2.fastq.gz \
                           -p \
                           Sample/ERR011143_1.fastq.gz \
                           Sample/ERR011143_2.fastq.gz \
                           -o \
                           Assembly

Sébastien Boisvert

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses