SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Metagenomics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tumor collection? popgan Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 03-21-2013 01:08 AM
Software/code for motif collection bnfoguy Bioinformatics 0 03-07-2012 01:19 PM
Problems with LabChip XT collection buffer? Nicky333 Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 06-24-2011 06:43 AM
PubMed: OrchidBase: A collection of sequences of transcriptome derived from orchids. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 01-20-2011 02:30 PM
Windows XP 64 bit for Data Collection GA2? mackyE Illumina/Solexa 1 12-15-2009 10:09 AM

Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
newBioinfo

Default Sample collection for metranscriptomic sequencing

Hi All,
I need to do metatranscriptomic sequencing from ice samples. I want to know how can samples be transported from the site to the lab for RNA isolation. The ice samples will be filtered on-site to remove unwanted elements, the filter will have all the microbes I need to study. In case of metagenomics the filter was preserved in ethanol and was transported to lab but I am wondering if I keep the filter in the ethanol all the RNA will be degraded.
Please can anyone suggest anything.

Thanks!!!
newBioinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
JackieBadger

You talk in the future then past tense...have you actually collected the samples?
If not, then do not preserve in ethanol. You need RNAlater. Although RNAlater is expensive, the recipe is not complicated and you can make your own for much cheaper.
JackieBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
newBioinfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBadger View Post
You talk in the future then past tense...have you actually collected the samples?
If not, then do not preserve in ethanol. You need RNAlater. Although RNAlater is expensive, the recipe is not complicated and you can make your own for much cheaper.
Thanks JackieBadger,
I did some 16S rDNA sequencing from the samples collected from ice and they were preserved in ethanol. But, now I need to do metatranscriptomic for ice samples and I am not sure how to transport the filters with microbes from site to lab for RNA isolation.
The samples are not not collected yet for metatranscriptome.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
JackieBadger

for transcriptome work you need to preserve as much RNA as possible...ethanol just won't do. Like I mentioned, you need to use RNAlater or make some of your own
JackieBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
newBioinfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBadger View Post
for transcriptome work you need to preserve as much RNA as possible...ethanol just won't do. Like I mentioned, you need to use RNAlater or make some of your own
Thanks a lot!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Cofactor Genomics
Registered Vendor

Hello NewBioinfo,
I agree with JackieBadger on taking these steps to do all you can for the preservation of those RNA samples.

What becomes the real determinant is that assessment (QC) that you make of the RNA post isolation and prior to any library constructions (ie well before it gets anywhere close to a sequencer).

There are additional members on this board that have done thousands of RNA isolations and QC prior to sequencing. Our respective team has learned quite a bit over the past 5 years on what are the requirements for RNA to produce a successful sequencing product (RNA-seq is the number one project type initiated with our teams for 5 years in a row).
Below is a link to what our team is looking for concerning input quality/quantity to execute a successful project. I include it in hopes it in hopes it is useful:

http://www.cofactorgenomics.com/site...nce%20card.pdf

My best.

Jarret Glasscock
Cofactor Genomics
http://www.cofactorgenomics.com

Jarret Glasscock
Cofactor Genomics
http://www.cofactorgenomics.com
Cofactor Genomics is offline   Reply With Quote