SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DESeq and non-raw counts (but also not rpkm normalized) wingless Bioinformatics 0 06-26-2015 12:11 PM
Getting normalized counts IsBeth Bioinformatics 2 05-31-2014 10:20 AM
edgeR mean normalized reads counts for each gene antoza Introductions 2 02-11-2014 09:22 AM
How to translate RNA-Seq result to normalized gene expression level in qRT-PCR? ymc RNA Sequencing 0 12-18-2013 04:32 PM
converting bam files to non-normalized read counts lpn Bioinformatics 4 10-09-2012 08:52 PM

Old 12-15-2016, 03:22 AM   #1
SS00
PhD Student

Question RNA-seq: Population diversity for a gene based on normalized counts?

Hi all,

A little Bioinformatics/Population Genetics question. I have a list of significant differentially expressed genes from two experimental conditions (each with 5 biological replicates). I have compared this to DE genes reported in previous literature (about 6 studies) to see how consistent these are, which I have done nicely using upSetR.

What I want to do now is to see if consistency in literature correlates with consistency in the experimental group, e.g. if a gene is upregulated in all biological replicates in condition 2, is it more likely to be reported in the majority of the other studies as opposed to a gene which is upregulated in only 3 out of the 5 replicates. To do this, I thought of converting my normalized counts for each DE gene (about 150 genes) into some sort of diversity index and visualizing this against literature consistency.

Does anyone know how to do this? In my undergrad studies I briefly dabbled in population genetics in regards to repeat polymorphisms using Fixation Index and diversity index but I am not sure how to apply this to normalized counts (e.g. 600cpm, 200cpm) instead of genotype (e.g. AA, AT).

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
SS00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diversity, normalized counts, rna-seq, statistics