No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq variance-based filter before differential expression analysis

Hello,

I am analyzing a larger set of RNA-Seq data (20 controls/20 diseased, Illumina Hi-Seq 2000, 101 bp, paired-end) in tissue that is affected in later stages of our disease of interest. Therefore, we were expecting to observe more subtle expression differences for our DE comparisons.

Nevertheless, when using DESeq v1.12.0 for the protein-coding genes passing a low-count threshold (e.g. at least 2 counts per million in > half the samples, ~14,300 genes), the number of differentially expressed genes at FDR level of significance is only around 50. The problem is that when doing pathway or functional analyses, a larger number of genes would be preferable.

While I am aware that the recent version of DESeq is more conservative than other DE programs (e.g. edgeR), I think it might be problematic to choose a less stringent FDR p-value for this reason alone. Consequently, I was wondering if adding some additional filter(s) for the genes included in the DE analyses might help reduce the number of multiple tests and increase the number of significant results. For example, are there any accepted variance filters for RNA-Seq DE analyses? Something like removing genes with very high variance across biological replicates (I've noticed edgeR has the tendency to incorrectly label genes in this category as differentially expressed) or removing genes with low variance across all samples? Any suggestions on specific thresholds?

Thank you for your help!
    Alexandra

1) They have just released DESeq 2 and you might want to check that out.
    2) Read the DESeq vignette, one of the best written out there, they explain in detail how to go about pre-filtering data
    3) The harsh truth is that you don't always get what you want. If there are only 50 truly differentially expressed genes, trying to increase that number because you want it to be higher is your bias and not what is really going on. That data is what the data is. For that matter, 50 genes, is a small enough number that one can check potential functions by hand.

Comment

Hi chadn737,

1, 2) I will have to look into the DESeq2 R package - thanks for pointing this out.
      3) In general, I would agree with you. Nevertheless, my question regarding the variance filters came about after having tried several methods for the DE analysis. While the version of DESeq that I used returned only 50 DE genes, other programs (including edgeR) returned surprisingly more differentially expressed genes. I like DESeq better, since it does not return genes that I do not trust (and as you said, the vignette is amazing), but at the same time I know that interesting genes do not pass this FDR threshold because DESeq was designed to be more conservative (as you can see from this reference). I do need to look at DESeq2, though ..

Alexandra

Comment

a non-parametric approach is probably better

for designs with sufficient biological replicates.

RUM - HTseq-count - SAMseq (samr package) is my pipeline for clinical samples with many biological replicates...

Comment

adumitri,

As mentioned in your title and the vignette of DESeq, non-specific filtering of your genes on certain features, to reduce the number of tests carried out, works very well.

I had tested some variables to filter on: the total counts of reads per gene worked out best for me. But you can test anything that pops into your mind. Remove increasing percentiles from your dataset, in small steps. The maximum number of significant genes lies ~15% higher in my case than not applying any filtering. It takes however a fair amount of time to loop through all the calculations. Precaution on setting the variable to filter on, as it should not be correlated with the hypothesis you are testing (hence, non-specific).

A typical increase in sign genes for DESeq: see https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18352887/sweet_spot_deseq.png

For your pathway enrichment, I advise you to use the Piano package in R. See http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/conten.../26/nar.gkt111

You can provide the complete list of p-values as assigned by DESeq (without applying your cutt-off) to Piano, and let Piano run a couple of gene set enrichment algorithms on it, to assign a consensus score to the pathways.

Hope this helps.
          www.bits.vib.be

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses