No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to evaluate assembly quality?

Hello guys,

After I played around with Mosaik aligner for a while, I started to wonder a question: how to evaluate the quality of assembly after increase mismatch number. Since mosaik does not have a limitation for mismatches in the reads mapping to the reference, I found that if I increases the mismatch, my consensus always get longer, and number of reads mapped always get increased (which also make sense). But how do I know it is not achieved the improvement by jeopardise the assembly quality, such as mapping a lot of reads into wrong position. Is there any way to evaluate the assembly quality?

Thanks!

I can give a little bit detail here: first I assembled 55 paired end solexa reads into reference with 3 mismatches, then 6 mismatches, then 10, then 15, the consensus get longer and longer. But I worried about this comes with a trade off: that a lot of reads mapping with wrong positions.

The distance between sequenced genome and reference genome is kind of medium, ds value for most genes are between 0.08 - 0.13.

Comment

Every time you start from the same reference sequence or you iteratevely reuse the result of the previous step? I mean do you first align with three errors and then you use the consensus that you obtain as a new reference and youallow 6 errors on this?

I think that is not a matter of tradeoff, but of what are you aligning. If you are alinging against your reference reads that belong to a nhigh releted organism then you have to allow 3 o r 4 mismatches, while if the reads belong to a distant organisms you have to allow more mismatches.
      I think that the iterative approach could help you

Francesco

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses