SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small amount of RNA to start with? answersseq Illumina/Solexa 7 11-25-2017 12:33 AM
Amilification kit to low amount of Total RNA papori Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 09-11-2012 03:19 AM
small rna seq with total lane read count different between conditions anle Bioinformatics 0 01-25-2012 02:25 PM
RNA-Seq: Whole-transcriptome RNAseq analysis from minute amount of total RNA. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 07-09-2011 03:10 AM
Minimum amount of total RNA for mRNA-seq asiebel Illumina/Solexa 0 02-24-2010 07:30 PM

Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Deli Çoban

Arrow initial amount of total RNA or enriched small rna for small rna seq

Hi everyone,

We are planing to small RNA sequencing using Illumina Genome Analyzer (Solexa), my question is how much the initial amount of total RNA should be in general ? or enriched small rna?

many thanks
Deli Çoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
ishmael

Which species? And how about the length restriction?
For what we did for human and other mammals at the length range less than 40nt, the most of final results were known miRNAs, about occupied 80~90% or even more. let-7 families were the highest abundant families.
ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Deli Çoban

First, thanks ishmael for your response

We want to sequence two endemic fish species whose genome are not sequenced and annotated in database. Our study mainly covers the microRNA sequencing and their proposed relatively lenght is between 18-30 nt. My question is how much (ng or ug) the initial RNA quantity (small enriched rna or total rna) should be?

thanks...
Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deli Çoban View Post
First, thanks ishmael for your response

We want to sequence two endemic fish species whose genome are not sequenced and annotated in database. Our study mainly covers the microRNA sequencing and their proposed relatively lenght is between 18-30 nt. My question is how much (ng or ug) the initial RNA quantity (small enriched rna or total rna) should be?

thanks...
Sorry, I forget the topic is about library preparation
Guys in our wet lab said it is hard to say the mass of total RNAs, may be 1mg? They just followed the protocols. Sometimes only when the sequencing finished then you know if the exaction is messed up or not. In the beginning, some sequencing batches of our samples were full of adaptor sequences only, useless .
ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Deli Çoban

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
Sorry, I forget the topic is about library preparation
Guys in our wet lab said it is hard to say the mass of total RNAs, may be 1mg? They just followed the protocols. Sometimes only when the sequencing finished then you know if the exaction is messed up or not. In the beginning, some sequencing batches of our samples were full of adaptor sequences only, useless .
Hi, ishmael

During the library preparation, approximately 1 ug (< 50 pb) enriched small RNA sould be suffecient to get proper sequences for illumnia hiseq2000, according to friends who runs this machine routinely. But, now I embark on collecting part of article about my subject. And, I am planing to list this information here.

kindly...