Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAT Drive Truncating Files to 4GB

I am beginning to archive old data and have a 2TB USB FAT formatted drive for this purpose.

However, any file that is larger than 4GB is truncated to 4GB. Apparently FAT drives won't copy files larger than this.

I can compress the files and copy them but soon even the compressed data files will be larger than 4GB.

Is there an easy solution around this?

(Note I can't reformat to NTFS since the data is on a Red Hat computer and they don't support NTFS).

Do you plan to use the drive on a non-linux/unix-variant system? Otherwise just format with a filesystem supported by linux, e.g. ext3.

Comment

Ideally it will be able to be mount on Windows computers also.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
        I am beginning to archive old data and have a 2TB USB FAT formatted drive for this purpose.

However, any file that is larger than 4GB is truncated to 4GB. Apparently FAT drives won't copy files larger than this.

I can compress the files and copy them but soon even the compressed data files will be larger than 4GB.

Is there an easy solution around this?

(Note I can't reformat to NTFS since the data is on a Red Hat computer and they don't support NTFS).
        NTFS is an option, as long as you're able to run ntfs-3g on linux (which is pretty stable).
        BTW, FAT capabilities are well known, to me it's a deprecated file system, absolutely unsuitable for modern data throughput. Compressing is not an option, you will lose a lot of time for a workaround.

d

Comment

You can get various drivers that claim to be able to mount or browse ext2/ext3 partitions on Windows:

Open source ext3/4 file system driver for Windows (2K/XP/WIN7/WIN8)

Hopefully at least one of them would work for you.

Alternatively, you could use the unix 'split' command to break the big files into chunks on the FAT partition.

Comment

Thanks I'll look into drivers for mounting ext2/ext3 on windows.

I may be mistaken but most USB thumb drives are also FAT formatted aren't they?

I had this same problem with them.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
              I may be mistaken but most USB thumb drives are also FAT formatted aren't they?
              Unfortunately yes...

Comment

crossposted

http://i.seqanswers.com/question/7/f...g-files-to-4gb

I've offered an additional response, suggesting NTFS and FileSpanning options.

please forgive the well intentioned thread hijacking

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses