Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150nt insert size, generating libraries, question!

Hi All:
    I'm preparing libraries for the HiSeq...
    We're generating a library of variants, and the whole construct is 143nt long...with 30 nt in the middle that are variable (lots of variants!).

Trying to adapt the TruSeq protocols to my application, I've already had to resort to using Qiagen Minelute columns instead of AmpPure (my size is below the threshold (all in the wash)).

I am planning on producing 1ug of DNA (via PCR, unfortunately) to then do end-repair, phosphorylation, ligation, etc...

Am I on the right track here...or should I assume loss after shearing? By 'loss', I mean that not all gDNA is at the correct size after shearing, but I know my PCR'd DNA is All the right size...or do I just go forward with 1ug of PCR'd DNA?

Also, since my final size is going to be smaller than suggested, should I alter amplification/extension conditions in the cluster station? I'm not running the machine, so what should I tell the tech?

Thanks!

We're generating a library of variants, and the whole construct is 143nt long...with 30 nt in the middle that are variable (lots of variants!).
    If all your contructs are the same size, why do you need to shear? In fact, if you used Taq for the PCR, you can go straight to adapter ligation afterwards.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Exactly! Yes, I am using Taq, and Yes, I do not need to shear...
      Just interested in the amount of DNA from a 1ug shearing 'reaction'..what amount is of the correct size...80%? I'll have 100%, so I don't want to overload the downstream analysis...

Thanks for confirming why I don't need to do endrepair, etc.

Z

Comment

All of the input DNA is present through the gel extraction step, so all of the reaction conditions are calculated for that amount. It's immaterial what fraction is of the desired size until the PCR amplification, and at that point the protocol has recommended guidelines based on the amount of fragment.

Comment

I guess I was worried about overloading the ligation reaction with insert. I am never convinced that all DNA is carried forward when there is a wash/Ampure step.
          Thanks for all replies.

I ended up performing the A-tailing rxn again, even though its TAQ-amplified, as I know A's do 'fall off' from experience. And, that volume and enzyme mix is present in the ligation rxn, with no cleanup involved between those steps.

THanks!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses