No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high first base error rate

Hi,

I have noticed this with all of the recent RNA seq runs we have had with the solexa. The first base error rate is very high (looking at error graphs). Attached is the image for one of the tiles..

do people face the same issue? Any remedies, apart from skipping the first read for eland alignments I suppose!

I think we see this with other solexa runs as well, not just rna-seq..

thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bioinfosm; 07-30-2009, 10:40 AM. Reason: attach file
    --
    bioinfosm

Originally posted by bioinfosm View Post
    do people face the same issue?
    I think we see this with other solexa runs as well, not just rna-seq..
    I've just checked a couple of genome sequencing runs from 2008 (36mers) and 2009 (72mers). I have to clip bases on the left of ~4.5% to 6% of the reads (can't tell you how much, the statistics is not that detailed in the log file), the rest has no errors in the first ~20 bases.

Originally posted by bioinfosm View Post
    Any remedies, apart from skipping the first read for eland alignments I suppose!
    Just clip away what's really wrong. I (well, MIRA) make an all vs. all comparison of the reads and clip away read ends that are seen only once or which are not confirmed by sequence from a reverse read. Takes just a couple of minutes for one lane.

On the other hand ... with enough data, always throwing away the very first base probably does not hurt.

Regards,
    B.

Comment

The first base is artifact "T" from the illumina protocal. The updated protocal does not have the problem.

You should use "USE_BASES nY*" in the Gerald configure file to ingore it.

Comment

Originally posted by NSTbioinformatics View Post
        The first base is artifact "T" from the illumina protocal. The updated protocal does not have the problem.

You should use "USE_BASES nY*" in the Gerald configure file to ingore it.
        Could you elaborate on what is artifact "T", and which updated protocol you refer to that overcomes this issue?

Thanks
        --
        bioinfosm

Comment

In our illumina runs, the first base "T" occured only on phix lane, not in other lanes (our owe sequeneces). As i heard from our technician, the first base is artifact "T" from the illumina protocal.Sorry i don't know much detail about it. Now we do not have the first base T in the phix lane. Both the illumina protocal and the phix reference are updated.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses