Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MicroArray and Sequence Analysis

Dear Fellows, I am a Perl programmer and good in Biology too, however, I am very interested to know more about Sequence analysis and microarray data analysis, I have gone through the forum, but I think for a NOOB like me, I gotta probably start from scratch and connect everything together, I am not bad in statistics too, worked as a SAS programmer for sometime (Clinical trials), however, we don't have SAS out here....

My inquiries are:
    1. What are the routine statistical must-knows techniques in the field of microarray data analysis and next generation sequence analysis?
    2. Software or platforms that you recommend to use in gene assembly, mapping...etc - put another way - directions into the various tasks that come with sequence analysis and microarray design and analysis that I need to master as a bioinformatician (I would really appreciate these directions dearly).
    3. Generously, suggest me any links that can be useful for a self-education based approach to develop

Other than that, I would like to contribute back, in the long run, probably by providing Perl libraries to automate some of the interesting tasks that we'd get to do day to day...

Thanking you ...
    Last edited by BioSlayer; 04-05-2010, 09:24 PM. Reason: Clarified some points

IMHO, microarrays are going the way of BAC cloning. Everyone will be due transcriptome sequencing soon.

The best way to learn the NGS field would be to download software and data and work with it.

Comment

Look through the BioConductor website; there will be vignettes there for most of the tools.

Microarrays will be take a while to tail off & won't be at a total disadvantage (still cheaper at the moment) for at least a year. A lot of the techniques will carry over.

Wonder when I'll see my first appalling RNA-Seq experimental design to join the legions of horribly designed microarray experiments.

Comment

Isn't BioConductor only for microarray data? I use GeneSpring so have never used it.

For Next gen sequence analysis look through the sticky "Software packages for next gen sequence analysis" at the top of this thread.

Comment

There are a number of BioConductor packages which are either agnostic about the type of data or are specifically for 2nd gen sequencing data (e.g. DEGseq for RNA-Seq; ShortRead is general set of classes).

Also, it would be supremely foolish to not learn the lessons learned over a decade of microarray analysis, as very many of the same issues will be faced or analogous issues arise (e.g. correcting for multiple testing)

Don't forget the software wiki! It is likely to be less incomplete than the thread.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses