No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat for single end reads

Hello,
    I test tophat on the test data set, it runs correctly.
    But when I run tophat with my single end RNA sequences, tophat_out file only contains logs and tmp, which doesn't have accepted_hits.sam, junctions.bed, insertions.bed and deletions.bed. I don't know why and where is my error.
    ps: I just use default parameters.(tophat a_ref a.fq)
    Thanks for your help!!!
    Last edited by lynn012; 03-30-2011, 11:20 PM.

Did you create an index of you reference sequence using bowtie-build?
    Do you get an error message when Tophat runs? If so, what does it say?

Comment

Camg, I have created an index of my reference sequence, and Tophat runs without a hitch.
      The only problem is the result. Tophat_out file contains 'tmp' file besides 'logs', which includes left_kept_reads.fq,left_kept_reads_missing.fq and so on. However there isn't accepted_hits.sam.

Comment

Can you share the exact command that you wrote to run Tophat, as well as what Tophat reported while it was running?
        What is in the left_kept_reads etc. files? I don't have those in my "logs" file.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Comment

Hi, you already fix your problem?
          Do you mind to share the command that you try for running single-end read in Tophat?
          Thanks a lot.
          I just start trying on it now as well.

Comment

NO accepted_hits.bam

Hi all,

I am having a similar problem with illumina single end. Tophat is running without a problem, but I only see 'temp' and 'logs' folder (no accepted_hits.bam).

My script for one library:

tophat -p 20 -G TAIR10_GFF3_genes.gff -o 01_tophat2_TRT_R3.fq.Q30.L50 TAIR10_chr_all TRT_R3.fq.Q30.L50

I have indexed the genome using bowtie2-build. What could this be????

many thanks!

G

Comment

Go into the "logs" folder and start looking at the logs to get some additional detail. There should be an error logged in there someplace.

Comment

Thanks so much GenoMax, I did find the problem within the log folder (Error: Couldn't build bowtie index with err = 1) please see below. Does this mean i have to use bowtie2-build for the genes file (TAIR10_GFF3_genes.gff)???. I downloaded both the Arabidopsis genome and genes from (ftp://ftp.arabidopsis.org/home/tair/...omosome_files/) and (ftp://ftp.arabidopsis.org/home/tair/...GFF3_genes.gff)

I have read others posts but i can't quite figure out how to solve this. I appreciate your help.

[2014-09-10 16:17:49] Beginning TopHat run (v2.0.11)
                -----------------------------------------------
                [2014-09-10 16:17:49] Checking for Bowtie
                Bowtie version: 2.1.0.0
                [2014-09-10 16:17:49] Checking for Samtools
                Samtools version: 0.1.18.0
                [2014-09-10 16:17:49] Checking for Bowtie index files (genome)..
                [2014-09-10 16:17:49] Checking for reference FASTA file
                Warning: Could not find FASTA file TAIR10_chr_all.fa
                [2014-09-10 16:17:49] Reconstituting reference FASTA file from Bowtie index
                Executing: /usr/local/bin/bowtie2-inspect TAIR10_chr_all > 01_tophat2_CTR_R1.fq.Q30.L50/tmp/TAIR10_chr_all.fa
                [2014-09-10 16:17:56] Generating SAM header for TAIR10_chr_all
                [2014-09-10 16:17:56] Reading known junctions from GTF file
                [2014-09-10 16:17:59] Preparing reads
                left reads: min. length=50, max. length=101, 22866275 kept reads (865 discarded)
                [2014-09-10 16:30:19] Building transcriptome data files 01_tophat2_CTR_R1.fq.Q30.L50/tmp/TAIR10_GFF3_genes
                [2014-09-10 16:30:22] Building Bowtie index from TAIR10_GFF3_genes.fa
                [FAILED]
                Error: Couldn't build bowtie index with err = 1

Comment

Instead of struggling with these individual files can you download the sequence/index/annotations package for TAIR 10 from the iGenomes site here: http://support.illumina.com/sequenci...e/igenome.html

Comment

Thanks, will try this. Does it matter if you download TAIR10 from Ensembl or NCBI?

-G

Comment

Sequence should be the same. Annotations will be different. NCBI may be better place to start since the Ensembl may have computationally predicted entries that may complicate things.

Comment

Thanks so much, it worked (i see the accepted_hits.bam!!!!!!).
                        I had actually started the analysis with the Ensembl genome, should i downloaded the NCBI and start over?

Again, many thanks.
                        G

Comment

No need to start over. Just stick with Ensembl dataset (sequence/annotation) for the rest of the analysis.

Comment

great. Thank you kindly for all the help.
                            -G

Comment

Dear All,

Quick question, should you include the " -- phred64-quals" in the tophat script? I think by default tophat does it but I am not quite sure honestly.
                              Also, including -- phred64-quals helps to map only reads with better quality?

Thanks
                              G

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses