Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a gtf file for the database I mapped against

I used BWA-SOLiD from Galaxy, but had somewhat of a mapping failure with very little hits. It was kindly suggested to me by Jennifer of Galaxy:

"I would consider the mapping a failure. However, you can create a gtf file for the database you mapped against and generate counts for the hits you have. This older post on the UCSC forum has instruction (the file cannot be output from the UCSC Table browser, so cannot be done through the Galaxy "Get Data -> UCSC Main" tool).
    http://redmine.soe.ucsc.edu/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=14375&S=7744d556a73fd27a61976e12db2bc65c"

I tried to follow the advice outlined on that website. Specifically, I

1) Installed bedToGenePred, bedFile, and genePredFile

2) Ran the command:

cat mrna.fasta | cut -f2- | pslToBed stdin stdout | bedToGenePred stdin stdout | genePredToGtf file stdin mrna.gtf

But I got an error "Bad line 1 of stdin wordCount is 2 instead of 21 or 23".

I wrote to the group about it, but was wondering if anyone on SeqAnswers might know either what is wrong in this specific case, or if there is another easy-to-use tool out there to accomplish what Jennifer suggested (to create a gtf file for the database I mapped against).

Many thanks in advance!

This is the head of my mrna.fasta file:

>AF001540 1
    ggcacgaggcaggtctgtctgttctgttggcaagtaaatgcagtactgtt
    ctgatcccgctgctattagaatgcattgtgaaacgactggagtatgatta
    aaagttgtgttccccaatgcttggagtagtgattgttgaaggaaaaaatc
    cagctgagtgataaggctgagtgttgaggaaatttctgcagttttaagca
    gtcgtatttgtgattgaagctgagtacatttgctggtgtatttttaggta
    aaatgcttttttgttcatttctgggtggtgggaggggactgaagccttta
    gtcttttccagatgcaaccttaaaatcagtgacaagaaacattccaaaca
    agcaacagtcttcaagaaattaaactggcaagtggaaatgtttaaacagt
    tcagtgatctttagtgcattgtttatgtgtgggtttctctctcccctccc

Which database did you map against? if it's a common one then the gtf is probably readily available (and I'd use gencode over UCSC if it's human or mouse, but that's just me).

At any rate, the instructions you are using are for reformatting annotation in psl format to gtf. You seem to be piping actual sequence into the pipeline, which is why it failed. You want to create a gtf file from the annotation for your database, not the sequence.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses