No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question about "regions"

Hi,

I guess my question would better fit to a statistics board but it is hard to explain genomics to non biologists (at least for me).

I use the nice bedtools package to find overlapping intervalls of ChIP-seq regions from different factors/chromatin modifications.

1st question:
    How can one calculate whether a given observation is significantly different than random overlap, i.e. what is the probability that 1000 regions (let's say from 500bp to 1000bp) of factor A show overlap with factor B (2000 regions) in 800 cases.

Of course in this case is there is significantly more overlap than random. I did this via binning the genome into 1kb bins. Then I assigned to each bind whether it was bound by A and/or B. This enabled me to easily assign distinct probabilities for each bin to be associated with a single factor or with both factors (as it is easy to determine the "universe"). Then I perform Chi-Square or similar tests.

But this approach appears to be too complicated too me. There must be a way to directly calculate the probability for an overlap of two (or more factors).

Does anyone have a suggestion how to accomplish this?

2. question is related to above question. Is there a script (or can someone explain what I have to think about to write one on my own -> Perl/R/Python) that creates intersection (overlap) between n factors' regions and looks for all different possible outcomes, i.e. sites with all factors, all but one factor, all but to factors etc.?

I'd be glad if someone could point me at a direction how to approach these two aspects!

Maxim

i also have same questions, have they been solved?

Comment

The thing about choosing random bits of the genome is that not all of it is mappable (~70%). So random coordinates should probably come from the mappable sequence? What I have not worked out is exactly which sequence is mappable or not. A possible proxy for this is choosing sequence from regions that have any input DNA tags......

Any thoughts about this?

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by idonaldson View Post
        The thing about choosing random bits of the genome is that not all of it is mappable (~70%). So random coordinates should probably come from the mappable sequence? What I have not worked out is exactly which sequence is mappable or not. A possible proxy for this is choosing sequence from regions that have any input DNA tags......

Any thoughts about this?

Ian
        There is a "Mapability" track at the UCSC genome browser. It should be possible to exclude these regions from the random picks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses