Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aligning paired end read files that have different numbers of reads after trimming

Hi all,

Basically, I'm wondering if tophat2 (calling bowtie2) can align paired reads from two different files that don't have the same number of reads? Right, that sounds a bit vague, but in a nutshell;

I have gotten raw read files in FASTQ format back from an RNA seq project. This is from paired end sequencing. So for a single lane there are 2 files (one for each pair) and both have 29181932 reads. I then trimmed each read for a quality score, but when I was doing this I included an option to remove reads that, after trimming, contained less than 25 bps (These are 40bp reads). More reads were removed, because of this, from the second mate of the pair. Now I have different numbers of reads for each pair (pair 1 29081810; pair 2 26989485). A difference of about 2.1 million reads, but this is expected as quality is always lower on the second mate.

The problem now is that I don't know if bowtie2 will only align reads for which the 2 corresponding mates exist or will it align each read independently? Preferably the former.

I know I could create files with only the IDs that are in both, but I don't want to do this if bowtie2 will take care of it for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by d1antho; 01-19-2013, 12:50 PM. Reason: The initial title wasnt specific enough to the problem

No, it will not work properly with the input files you have described. Nearly every software tool for NGS insists that all pairs are matched. When the read pairs are provided in separate files (e.g. R1 and R2) the order of the reads must match exactly in the two files.

This is why trimming and filtering tools which don't maintian pair information create big headaches. For this reason I started using Trimmomatic. It works with both of the paired reads simultaneously. If only one of the reads survives QC it is written to a separate singletons file, while surviving pairs are written to their respective paired files.

Comment

Great. Thanks

Just re-doing the trimming now

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses