SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pileup / extract information from BAM/SAM files liu_xt005 Bioinformatics 4 01-19-2015 10:14 AM
Per base sequence coverage from sam/bam file? ewilbanks Bioinformatics 7 06-06-2012 02:03 PM
Fastest way to extract differing positions from each alignment in a BAM file CHRYSES Bioinformatics 5 12-14-2011 12:28 PM
Extract perfectly mapped reads from SAM/BAM file Graham Etherington Bioinformatics 2 07-21-2011 08:27 AM
Base Quality values in BAM file donniemarco Bioinformatics 2 06-22-2011 11:06 AM

Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
empyrean

Default Extract base from bam file

I have a bam file and i wanted to extract the following information.

For a read in a bamfile, can i extract the base based on the position? For example, if i say i need the base at 100th position and it should output whether its A/T/G/C. Can i get this using samtools or bamtools??
empyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
pbluescript

Try this:

Code:
samtools view file.bam | awk '{print substr($10, 100, 1)}'
pbluescript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
empyrean

thank you.. its doing exactly as i asked .. but looking at the output i realized that i asked my question wrongly.

I guess i should have made my question clear..sorry about that.. So once the read maps to the reference, i wanted to give input a position based on the reference say 100th position on reference, i need all bases from the reads which are mapping at that particular position including the readname. if i use the solution below, its printing the 100th base on the reads which is not equal to what i need because if there are indels in reference or reads, then the position of bases changes completely. So is there anyway to get what i need? i tried with mpileup. Its printing out all the bases at that positions but not the readnames.
empyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
SeekAnswers

Something like this?

Code:
samtools view <in.bam> 'chr1:start_pos-end_pos' | awk '{print $1"\t"$10}'
SeekAnswers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
pbluescript

Quote:
Originally Posted by empyrean View Post
thank you.. its doing exactly as i asked .. but looking at the output i realized that i asked my question wrongly.

I guess i should have made my question clear..sorry about that.. So once the read maps to the reference, i wanted to give input a position based on the reference say 100th position on reference, i need all bases from the reads which are mapping at that particular position including the readname. if i use the solution below, its printing the 100th base on the reads which is not equal to what i need because if there are indels in reference or reads, then the position of bases changes completely. So is there anyway to get what i need? i tried with mpileup. Its printing out all the bases at that positions but not the readnames.
You should look into bedtools. You can use intersectBed to get the reads that overlap with any defined interval, including single bases in a vcf file.
pbluescript is offline   Reply With Quote