Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extracting one field from a SAM file

I just became a bioinformatician (is that what we're called?) a few weeks ago, and am surprised that I can't find anything in samtools that will output a subset of fields from a SAM/BAM file. It seems to be entirely geared toward filtering "horizontally", for subsets of alignment records. I know that's a major need, but it's not actually what I need at the moment!

What I'm looking for is a derivative file with, for example, just one long list of CIGAR strings. I don't care what reads or alignments they're from; I just want to do some statistics on them in the aggregate.

What I'll do in the meantime is just parse the SAM with python to make my derivative file. But surely samtools would be better at it than I am. Anyone know how to make it do what I want? Thanks in advance!

(I'm excited to see the new python wrapper for samtools, which I'll probably check out soon.)

ANSWER from below, thanks to nilshomer: Just operate directly on the SAM-formatted stream that comes out of samtools view. E.g., samtools view <bamname> | awk <whatever field you need> | <further processing>.
    Last edited by jdrum00; 01-04-2010, 09:50 AM. Reason: Added answer to original question, for the benefit of searchers.

Doing that sort of slice is trivial from a SAM file with standard UNIX tools - cut, awk, perl, etc. For example "cut -f1" would pull out the first field. Count over (index origin 1) to CIGAR and put that value for the -f argument. Similarly, "perl -n -e '@a=split(/\t/); print $a[0],"\n"; (note that Perl is index origin 0, as most languages -- cut is wierd).

The binary BAM file would be a bit trickier; if you are more C-fluent than I you could use the decompress routines to decompress and then parse things out.

With the Perl (and probably Python; I'm just haven't dug into it) wrapper you can certainly iterate over all records & only grab the field(s) you want. Probably a significant overhead penalty, but it will get the job done.

Comment

Right; I can do that from a SAM, with awk or whatever. I was hoping someone would say there was an undocumented switch to samtools view or something, because that would also be likely to do it directly from BAM and save me a bunch of file conversion. It seems like the sort of simple direct thing that would be included in a basic tool set (but then I guess everyone says that about the feature they want).

Thanks for the details and suggestions!

Comment

Originally posted by jdrum00 View Post
        Right; I can do that from a SAM, with awk or whatever. I was hoping someone would say there was an undocumented switch to samtools view or something, because that would also be likely to do it directly from BAM and save me a bunch of file conversion. It seems like the sort of simple direct thing that would be included in a basic tool set (but then I guess everyone says that about the feature they want).

Unix programs typically follow the pipe-and-filter model so duplicating the function of one when a pipe would suffice is hearsay.

Here's how you get the cigar directly from a BAM file:
        Code:
        samtools view my.bam | cut -f6
        Unix utilities will soon become your friends.
        Last edited by nilshomer; 12-07-2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
          Unix utilities will soon become your friends.
          Oh yes; we're already quite well acquainted. Sed, awk, grep, cut, sort and I are all good buddies. Bash sometimes joins us for a movie. I used to hang out with python a lot, but honestly, I haven't seen much of him these last couple of weeks.

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
          Unix programs typically follow the pipe-and-filter model so duplicating the function of one when a pipe would suffix is hearsay.
          You're absolutely right, and my confusion was in not understanding that samtools view really is just a bam streamer. Now that that's clicked, I'm much happier!

This is a great forum; I'm looking forward to rummaging through it and learning a lot. Thanks for the useful and timely responses.

Comment

Originally posted by jdrum00 View Post

Tell me about it!
            I bet there's a script floating out there already.

working on python script to tally total mapped reads to a fasta entry in the reference for SAM file.

will post the script if anyone is interested but I think everyone can do it.
            any suggestions on how I can do it better? not a unix guru so hoping to learn from others.

I feel there;s gotta be a better way than to awk grep 3000 times a sam file if i have 3000 fasta entries.
            is there a word freq count unix tool?
            http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

btw here's the regex i got off the sam manual
              HTML Code:
              [CODE]
               Field    Regular expression  Range                                     Description
                                                      Query pair NAME if paired; or Query NAME if unpaired 2
              QNAME [^ \t\n\r]+
                                           [0,216-1] bitwise FLAG (Section 2.2.2)
              FLAG   [0-9]+
                                                      Reference sequence NAME 3
              RNAME [^ \t\n\r@=]+
                                           [0,229-1] 1-based leftmost POSition/coordinate of the clipped sequence
              POS    [0-9]+
                                           [0,28-1]   MAPping Quality (phred-scaled posterior probability that the mapping
              MAPQ   [0-9]+
                                                      position of this read is incorrect) 4
                                                      extended CIGAR string
              CIGAR ([0-9]+[MIDNSHP])+|\*
                                                      Mate Reference sequence NaMe; “=” if the same as <RNAME> 3
              MRNM   [^ \t\n\r@]+
                                           [0,229-1] 1-based leftmost Mate POSition of the clipped sequence
              MPOS   [0-9]+
                                           [-229,229] inferred Insert SIZE 5
              ISIZE -?[0-9]+
                                                      query SEQuence; “=” for a match to the reference; n/N/. for ambiguity;
              SEQ    [acgtnACGTN.=]+|\*
                                                      cases are not maintained 6,7
                                                      query QUALity; ASCII-33 gives the Phred base quality 6,7
                                           [0,93]
              QUAL   [!-~]+|\*
                                                      TAG
              TAG    [A-Z][A-Z0-9]
                                                      Value TYPE
              VTYPE [AifZH]
                                                      match <VTYPE> (space allowed)
              VALUE [^\t\n\r]+[/CODE]

Comment

Originally posted by KevinLam View Post
                working on python script to tally total mapped reads to a fasta entry in the reference for SAM file.
                I feel there;s gotta be a better way than to awk grep 3000 times a sam file if i have 3000 fasta entries. is there a word freq count unix tool?
                I'm not totally clear on what you need, but awk will count lines:

Code:
                awk '{count[$i]++} END {for(x in count) print x,count[x]}'
                The first bit tallies up everything as it goes through the file, and then the bit after END prints out the results.

So if there's a specific subportion of the SAM line you want to count, filter that out with awk or cut, and pipe that result to the awk above. For example, I needed to look at the custom MD: field, which is the sixteenth field, so:

Code:
                samtools view <bamname> | awk '{print $16}' | awk '{count[$1]++} END {for(j in count) print count[j], j}' | sort -nr
                This results in output like:

Code:
                38 MD:Z:50
                17 MD:Z:30
                2 MD:Z:49A0
                2 MD:Z:46G3
                If you can get python or awk (or samtools!) to do the complex filtering you want, then awk is pretty blazingly fast at counting up the results. Hope that helps!
                Last edited by jdrum00; 01-04-2010, 08:03 AM. Reason: Note that samtools is a good filterer too

Comment

Neat!
                  Thanks jdrum
                  that's pretty much what I was looking for!
                  Was thinking of using a hash to count no. of reads that map to a chr in reference genome.
                  But this works better!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses