No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA seq data filter low count before or after normalization

Hi there,

I just created login, my first time post here : )

I am trying to figure out which step should I filter the gene with low count.
    before normalization, after normalization? and how to determine the optimal cutoff?

If you know any literature and document that address my question, please let me know.

thanks a lot.

Q

Normally you do it after normalization, though there's typically not much difference to doing it before vs. after. Regarding the cut off, please see the genefilter package and the accompanying paper in PNAS.

Comment

Originally posted by qliu View Post
      Hi there,

I just created login, my first time post here : )
      Hello!

If you know any literature and document that address my question, please let me know.
      (Assuming you want to do differential gene expression expression analysis and you have RNAseq or similar type of data)

The edegR vignettes is a document where filtering is applied. I don't know of systemic studies addressing where to set the cutoff.

I am trying to figure out which step should I filter the gene with low count.
      before normalization, after normalization? and how to determine the optimal cutoff?
      The vignettes quoted above apply the filter after transforming raw counts to counts per million.
      In practice I think most of us apply a common sense threshold. If say a gene has 1 cpm (counts per million) in all the libraries, that gene can't be biologically interesting. The reason to reject genes early, i.e. before testing for de, is to make the adjustment for multiple testing less "aggressive".

Comment

Originally posted by dariober View Post
        I don't know of systemic studies addressing where to set the cutoff.
        See the Bourgon et al. 2010 paper in PNAS. That described microarrays, but the same applies to RNAseq. Detection power is optimized by performing the filtering on the p-values after testing. I do occasionally prefilter, but only with limma/voom when I get weird fits (sometimes that happens and you have to remove low expressors to get appropriate results).

BTW, this is why I use DESeq2, it does all of this for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
          See the Bourgon et al. 2010 paper in PNAS. That described microarrays, but the same applies to RNAseq. Detection power is optimized by performing the filtering on the p-values after testing. I do occasionally prefilter, but only with limma/voom when I get weird fits (sometimes that happens and you have to remove low expressors to get appropriate results).

BTW, this is why I use DESeq2, it does all of this for me.
          Thanks - I'll have a look!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses