SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Required sequencing depth for finding (nearly) all unique human transcripts schelhorn RNA Sequencing 5 01-22-2013 03:00 AM
Correlation between sequencing depth and false positives Jane M Bioinformatics 8 07-30-2012 05:52 AM
New to RNA-Seq: Help obtaining sequencing summary needed. ccard28 Bioinformatics 12 05-14-2012 12:44 AM
Sequencing Depth and Differential Expression JMorlan RNA Sequencing 0 01-12-2011 11:59 AM
Optimum input DNA sequencing depth captainentropy Epigenetics 5 09-16-2010 11:33 PM

Old 01-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
sequencenewbie

Default Sequencing depth needed

Hi All,

I'm interested in doing some transcriptome profiling to identify differentially expressed genes between two populations.

how much sequencing depth do I need to do a meaningful study? In the literature I've seen reports of 100 million reads on SOLID, 40-50 million on illumina, and down to 10 million 25bp reads on illumina?

Hoping to get some advice.

Thanks in advance
sequencenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:40 AM   #2
knightfeng

I think the most intuitive way is build relationship between sequencing depth and power function or some other criteria such as FDR, and decide sequencing depth according to the "detection power" you want in term of the criterion you choose. For example, you can simulate your data via poisson model (reads count of a gene follows poisson distribution) under different sample size and use some tools such as DEGseq to identify differentially expressed genes. Then, you can calculate sensitivity and specificity under different sample sizes and choose a sample size according to the sensitivity and specificity you want.
knightfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
mgogol

What genome?

I don't actually know the answer, but it will probably depend on the size of the genome.
mgogol is offline   Reply With Quote