• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vcf from bam file

Hi,

I am trying to create a vcf from a bam file using samtools and bcftools
    like that:

Code:
    samtools mpileup -ugf ~/genomes/Mus_musculus/GRCm38.p2/mm_ref_GRCm38.p2.fa bamfile | bcftools call -vmO z -o file.vcf
    I would like to have an uncompressed vcf with only the variants in it.

The command runs without errors. When I try to open the vcf file in an editor (e.g. TextWrangler) it opens without a problem
    Code:
    ##fileformat=VCFv4.2
    ##FILTER=<ID=PASS,Description="All filters passed">
    ##samtoolsVersion=1.2+htslib-1.2.1
    ##samtoolsCommand=samtools mpileup -ugf /home/yeroslaviz/genomes/Mus_musculus/Ensembl/NCBIM37/Sequence/WholeGenomeFasta/genome.fa ../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/Q_trimmedPlusgtf.bam ../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/R_trimmedPlusgtf.bam ../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/S_trimmedPlusgtf.bam ../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/T_trimmedPlusgtf.bam
    ##reference=file:///home/yeroslaviz/genomes/Mus_musculus/Ensembl/NCBIM37/Sequence/WholeGenomeFasta/genome.fa
    ##contig=<ID=1,length=197195432>
    ##contig=<ID=10,length=129993255>
    ##contig=<ID=11,length=121843856>
    ##contig=<ID=12,length=121257530>
    ##contig=<ID=13,length=120284312>
    ##contig=<ID=14,length=125194864>
    ##contig=<ID=15,length=103494974>
    ##contig=<ID=16,length=98319150>
    ##contig=<ID=17,length=95272651>
    ##contig=<ID=18,length=90772031>
    ##contig=<ID=19,length=61342430>
    ##INFO=<ID=DP4,Number=4,Type=Integer,Description="Number of high-quality ref-forward , ref-reverse, alt-forward and alt-reverse bases">
    ##INFO=<ID=MQ,Number=1,Type=Integer,Description="Average mapping quality">
    ##bcftools_callVersion=1.2+htslib-1.2.1
    ##bcftools_callCommand=call -vmO z -o FR.Ileum.vcf
    #CHROM	POS	ID	REF	ALT	QUAL	FILTER	INFO	FORMAT	../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/Q_trimmedPlusgtf.bam	../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/R_trimmedPlusgtf.bam	../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/S_trimmedPlusgtf.bam	../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/T_trimmedPlusgtf.bam
    1	3044386	.	G	A	59	.	DP=2;VDB=0.1;SGB=-0.314421;MQ0F=0;AC=4;AN=4;DP4=0,0,2,0;MQ=50	GT:PL	./.:0,0,0	./.:0,0,0	1/1:41,3,0	1/1:41,3,0
    1	3044390	.	T	A	58	.	DP=2;VDB=0.1;SGB=-0.314421;MQ0F=0;AC=4;AN=4;DP4=0,0,2,0;MQ=50	GT:PL	./.:0,0,0	./.:0,0,0	1/1:40,3,0	1/1:41,3,0
    but when I try to open it in the terminal I get this strange ascii characters:
    Code:
    >head C.vcf 
    ??ɮ?"?=?rɑ?W f^?X?+밖??@#Z?c$x???$Hb,????f??
    ????D?Ǘ?????)?w?[??n??????㫯?ŷ???o????|??Z>?}y{??\|??????k?d????????>|???z???jy???ɫ?O/^J????ߖ??O????ry??|?Z/??'????????s?????>???ӓ???1?]~Z??c?h????I1?؇????g????ry?y??;?()??u???w4??*iAo?!Z0 ?????	??C5ww?j?}?;?TN9?s?Nw8+?㰃??7?0B߾??1?ɝ?As???i3??5[743?3Vn??L??
    ??8?????!O??Hk??<?f?3????|9?wh?X[W????50ᶷ??f????r??<~{???]~?]?????xqy??\?q???????v????߼_-o?/?N<yy???k???????ɫoWg?d?????????͇???x?a?^??Yk|[??/n/???»??l???o??<<???z?yy??엋????v5????o>?o???????ׯ7?????????r??/?o=????b???O????????1?]???p?q?u?e?	?=??0??ʼn|v?
          ??????j?L$?Bp??????tu?^????'?
    q?}5=]-?9??X/?|??%y?\?W???I???M?޾9?????ӿ?X_/?m?뿦?{K?}s??Єzt;@o?{?????\|?J?????????????-V˻A{?????}5~??E?~?w?G?~??|????
                                                                                                                          ???q|?D?a?=vęz?:K??x????"³????o_N?z?)?yω??"?˛/?ˏ???KD?8??2??????ŗ?????ǟϷp?iĉ?|?y|?-?1?/???.?i?f7?O?.>\ ??UB??bq??r????????&B??ſ?~?J???
      g:K`?=s=??b?????<́-????D?r?PBIs9??????K\?(?6?_C;?7k??f??????mҬ??U??_?'???????z??????????v???t??\?Kt??xџ???y9f?S????r|z???????G?߸/I??????????OoƳ???????o_??y?n???????G???_?6?e???
    ?ftW!??$S?X;????p???ߞ?9?O?????4?ZxJ??=?Å?p㟱	<????3?WEv?O?zlt>??_F?	??T'?%p?!???PSÃN%???? ?i9???V?I0????6?	Xa~䅪?(F?#Q????-??4??????}??DJg:Pg?M??F?c؝?f?Y??#?N?_?(?
                                               ??qh???L??3????Ì??H?7??x??"~d?}???s??c1????i1A???,??3܃??H?s??Fj???<?u?2o?YT?#8=???????k?7T?????
                 2???>s?hs??j?;???)?[k??L??؄??#4d1'?4??~???icIO???!8??Ƶ???.x	
                                                                                    ??P??R?4>?!???ө????Z?Y
                                                                                                          ?;??k/?Dp?8x?:??		V?5??Q:pW????A)a?
                    ??c?Ӂ
    ?p?@3Jɸ??M\bd?4L$?   "c9ܖ?
    But when I am using the bcftools command I can see the file

Code:
    bcftools view C.vcf | head
    ##fileformat=VCFv4.2
    ##FILTER=<ID=PASS,Description="All filters passed">
    ##samtoolsVersion=1.2+htslib-1.2.1
    ##samtoolsCommand=samtools mpileup -ugf /home/yeroslaviz/genomes/Mus_musculus/Ensembl/NCBIM37/Sequence/WholeGenomeFasta/genome.fa ../bamFiles_trimmedPlusgtf/C_trimmedPlusgtf.bam
    ##reference=file:///home/yeroslaviz/genomes/Mus_musculus/Ensembl/NCBIM37/Sequence/WholeGenomeFasta/genome.fa
    ##contig=<ID=1,length=197195432>
    ##contig=<ID=10,length=129993255>
    ##contig=<ID=11,length=121843856>

I have found this as I was trying to upload my vcf files into IGV anf got the following error

Code:
    Error loading /home/VariantCalling/C.vcf: Unable to parse header with error: Your input file has a malformed header: We never saw the required CHROM header line (starting with one #) for the input VCF file, for input source: /home/VariantCalling/C.vcf
    As you can see the CROM line is there, but somehow IGV donesn't recognize the file.

Am I doing something wrong in the conversion?
    What is the right way to convert a bam file to vcf.

thanks,

Assa
    Last edited by frymor; 06-25-2015, 06:56 AM.

bcftools call -vmO z is for a compressed vcf. -O v for uncompressed.
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Originally posted by SNPsaurus View Post
      bcftools call -vmO z is for a compressed vcf. -O v for uncompressed.
      thanks,
      I don't know why I missed that. But why than can I open it in the text editor with no problems?

Comment

Originally posted by frymor View Post
        thanks,
        I don't know why I missed that. But why than can I open it in the text editor with no problems?
        Text Wrangler is programmer's editor. Looks like it can open compressed files.

Comment

Yeah, it was helpful that you included the tidbit that TextWrangler could open it but not 'head'. I use TextWrangler so know that it transparently opens .gz files. Maybe too transparently!
          Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses