SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inquiry: minimum length of reads for referece-based assembly or de novo assembly sunfuhui Bioinformatics 1 10-04-2013 09:28 AM
Diff. expression with RNAseq - varying results by method mbblack Bioinformatics 12 11-17-2012 05:27 AM
reads track in de novo assembly yuliu Bioinformatics 0 08-13-2012 01:34 PM
de novo assembly of PE reads lkral Bioinformatics 10 03-31-2012 11:58 AM
splitting 454 reads into kmers for diff expression Jeremy RNA Sequencing 0 01-18-2011 06:17 PM

Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
CarlosVM

Default Diff expression: pooling reads of replicates/treatments for de-novo assembly

I want to make pairwise comparisons of gene expression between tissue samples (same tissue, same species, different individuals) in 5 different treatments (with 2 biological and 2 technical -sequencing- replicates per treatment, using Illumina paired-end reads for de novo assembly). Before the differential expression analysis, I have to assemble a de-novo transcriptome.
Ideally, I'd like to have a good tradeoff between maximum recovery of splice variants and not too many computational chimeras.
Assuming unlimited computational resources, what would be the best strategy for pooling the samples in order to get a common set of transcripts for which to compare expression in different treatments. I thought of pooling all 20 samples for creating a single assembly that would contain the transcripts expressed in every condition and then I could map each sample to this assembly and subsequently compare. How much coverage is too much? (in terms of errors, chimeric sequences). My main concern is on how this will affect to the representation of isoforms from different treatments.
Is it more appropriate to make 5 different assemblies with 4 samples each and then collapse them with CD-HIT or a similar tool?
Thanks,

Carlos
CarlosVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Jeremy

Combined assemblies are the way to go, a few programs even give the information about which read formed which contig in the output. Trinity does this, although I am only just starting to play with it now. It looks promising.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #3
Anemone

@CarlosVM
How far have you done in your analyses? I am planning to analyze similar things (have 4 different conditions, 3 individuals per each condition and 3 samples per individual - different tissues, together 4 x 3 x 3 = 36 samples). I isolated RNA separately, but thinking to maybe pool the different tissues for each individual before sequencing to get less libraries to sequence (but still sequence from different tissues to get better transcriptome profiles). I also have to do de novo assembly and I'mplanning to just assembly from the reads I sequence, plus some available ESTs online.
Then my thinking was like yours, map each sample back to assembly and compare the samples between conditions.

Do you think the pooling of tissues for each individual separately is a good idea or would you just barcode each tissue separately?
Do you maybe have some advices for the analysis?

We are mainly using CLC Genomics Workbench for our analyses, but I used also i.e. Trinity assembler. The main issue I have with it is that Trinity reports alternative transcripts, so that you actually think you have more transcripts than you actually have and I think that might be problem for some follow up analyses..or? Do you have some experience with RSEM, or edgeR, DESeq programmes?? I'm just trying to read up on it.

Thanks in advance for any advices,
Please ask if something was not so clearly explained,
Ilona
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
de-novo, pooling, reads, rna-seq, transcriptome assembly