SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very Large Mate Pair Libraries Daytwa Illumina/Solexa 7 04-21-2015 01:37 AM
Nextera mate pair kit substitutions - Covaris and Dynabeads pjuneja Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 07-18-2014 03:16 AM
For Nextera mate-pair kit, Is it possible to reduce the tagmentation reaction time? ychang Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 04-20-2014 06:16 AM
bambus scaffolds on two mate pair libraries dragon0711 Bioinformatics 1 11-16-2013 08:10 PM
Use of illumina mate pair libraries for scaffolding glacerda Bioinformatics 2 07-13-2011 07:35 AM

Old 06-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
agseq

Default Assembly of nextera mate pair libraries

As the gel-free Nextera mate-pair method generates a range of mate-pair library insert sizes, how does one handle assembly informatically? If you assemble in an iterative fashion, say 3Kb, 8Kb and 15Kb, should you remove the reads which are identified in each of the assemblies and then feed them back in separately? Any suggestions are appreciated.
agseq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
Featherston

Hi there

Yeah I am at a complete loss of what to do with this data. None of the scaffolders want to use this data. I've tried SSPACE, SOPRA, OPERA (this doesn't exclude joins based on size), MIP and many assemblers with inbuilt scaffolders. None have worked. The only time I get scaffolding to work at all with the gel-free data is when I include paired-reads together with the mate-pair data as an input. But then I find there are expansions of ambiguities and I get crazy total genome sizes...... This is painful because even though you're joining contigs how does one report on any metrics with a genome that is twice the size it should be? I get decent mapping as well so it's not that my reads aren't mapping. Hope you've made some progress! Did you try the iterative approach?

BTW I have had some success with using NextClip for identifying true mate-pairs.
Cheers
J
Featherston is offline   Reply With Quote