SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Methylation calling tools, what works well? mixter Epigenetics 4 03-02-2015 11:17 AM
Finally a nanopore sequencer that works james hadfield The Pipeline 1 04-08-2013 04:32 AM
How cuffdiff works? babi2305 Bioinformatics 1 03-05-2013 07:35 AM
How Cuffcompare works? ngs_agd Bioinformatics 1 05-09-2011 11:18 PM
how paired end alignment works? totalnew Bioinformatics 8 04-27-2009 12:46 PM

Old 09-20-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
rozitaa

Smile How cufflinks works?

Hi,

I have different RNA-seq samples which I want to compare them with each other. I am using cufflinks to compare the transcription level of each gene.

I am getting different number of total genes per sample. I was expecting the output of cufflinks would be all genes in the ref annotation file and FPKM shows the relevant abundance of appearance of each transcript (some number for those which exist and zero for those that not). As far as I know, "cufflinks has values for all provided transcripts". If I am right, it means only those that are exist in my sequencing data. I am also, getting zero for some of the FPKM. So I cannot conclude the zeros with the mentioned phrase.

I cannot understand why these are happening and how I can interpret and compare the result. Generally, I want to have an overview of how cufflinks works. I have read cufflinks paper but it was hard for me to hunt answers of these question out of it.

Any comments about it would be so helpful.

Thanks
rozitaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
seqlearning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozitaa View Post
Hi,

I have different RNA-seq samples which I want to compare them with each other. I am using cufflinks to compare the transcription level of each gene.

I am getting different number of total genes per sample. I was expecting the output of cufflinks would be all genes in the ref annotation file and FPKM shows the relevant abundance of appearance of each transcript (some number for those which exist and zero for those that not). As far as I know, "cufflinks has values for all provided transcripts". If I am right, it means only those that are exist in my sequencing data. I am also, getting zero for some of the FPKM. So I cannot conclude the zeros with the mentioned phrase.

I cannot understand why these are happening and how I can interpret and compare the result. Generally, I want to have an overview of how cufflinks works. I have read cufflinks paper but it was hard for me to hunt answers of these question out of it.

Any comments about it would be so helpful.

Thanks
Same here.
I asked my data mapping to a GTF with ~70 genes. Then I used cufflinks to deal with the mapped results, found only about 10 genes with non-zero FPKM.
seqlearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
liweixie

did you have reference gtf file for cufflinks.
liweixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
rozitaa

Thanks, I found new gtf and fasta reference file and I think the whole problem caused because of the reference files!
rozitaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cufflinks