SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AMPure XP vs SPRI beads Tali7 Sample Prep / Library Generation 19 07-12-2017 11:13 AM
ampure beads sc10021 Sample Prep / Library Generation 12 07-03-2017 01:26 AM
Covaris M220 and AmPure beads moerae Sample Prep / Library Generation 6 08-22-2015 06:37 AM
Ampure XP beads Etherella Illumina/Solexa 4 10-16-2013 05:05 AM
Cloudy eluates with AMPure XP beads? osl Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 01-26-2013 09:49 AM

Old 09-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
tchiang

Default Ampure XP beads drying

Does anyone know if drying out the beads till it's cracked actually affects the elution efficiency?

I am following a library prep protocol and they say to dry the beads for 15 minutes after the alcohol step. I noticed the beads are cracked and are dry by 8 minutes.
tchiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Drying time is dependent on temperature, plastic ware and amount of bead. For instance, drying time for the same amount of bead in a 1.5 ml tube would be different from a PCR plate well. The best indicator for dry bead is lack of shininess and just one crack. Over drying where bead has multiple cracks can reduce elution efficiency. To maximise elution in such cases, after adding elution buffer incubate at RT at least for 5 minutes and mix frequently to wet the beads.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
Baseless

We have good experience drying them in a PCR cycler at 37C till a visible crack in the pellet can be seen. Usually like 3-5 mins instead of 15.
Baseless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
WhiteSeal

We have been using AMPure XP beads for the Illumina TruSeq DNA/NANO/Amplicon prep for some time now and we always use 1.5ml LoBind tubes and dry them for 5 minutes in a heat block at 37celcius. With this protocol we have had no issues.
WhiteSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
kerplunk412

I have done a few experiments to test this exact question, and I have also probably purified over a thousand samples with Ampure. I don't think over drying actually effects the ability of the DNA to elute from the beads, I think it just makes the beads very clumpy so that DNA on the inside of a clump is not exposed to elution buffer. As long as the beads are resuspended very well for elution there is not much trouble with over-drying, in my experience.

For efficient elution from possibly over-dried beads the method that nucacidhunter recommended sounds perfect to me. Also, you can tell if beads are not full resuspended if they fall to the bottom of the tube instead of staying in solution during the elution incubation.
kerplunk412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #6
tchiang

Thanks for the replies. I am doing a 5 min incubation at RT after adding elution buffer. Hopefully I will be getting everything out of the beads.
tchiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #7
WhiteSeal

Just on a different note, does everyone wash their bead pellets while on the magnet? (I do btw)

I have read on the MinIon forum that someone was removing the samples off the magnet, then wash with alcohol thourougly -> use magnet to create pellet and then remove the alcohol (this done twice) and thus receiving a much higher yield?

Anyone any experience with that?
WhiteSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
h11826

When I wash the beads with EtOH, I usually just do it on the magnet, though it sometimes disrupt the pellet if I pipet directly to the pellet. I don't see a
significant difference. My colleagues do their washes either way and I don't think it matters.
h11826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #9
Baseless

@WhiteSeal: Back in my early FLX days, I had some complete losses of libraries while removing the pellet from the magnet for washing. It might be a bit of voodoo, but since I avoid disturbing the pellet on the magnet during washing like the plaque we rarely lost any libraries except every now and then when we had to take a chance on sacred 'low input' samples.
Baseless is offline   Reply With Quote