No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Reads

Dear Seqanswers Forum Members,

It is not clear to me how many illumina reads are required for a differential
    expression experiment in a mammalian genome. I have basically 2 things to go on:

1. The statement by Anders and Huber "It can be seen that, for counts below
    approximately 100", even a small increase in count levels reduces the impact of shot noise...For weakly expressed genes, in the region where shot noise is
    important, power can be increased by deeper sequencing, while for the higher
    count regime, power can only be achieved by further biological replicates".

2. The statement by Mortazavi et al. " A 40 million read trasnscriptome measurement provides reliable measurement of a single transcript per cell".

What I am looking for is:
    1. How many reads are necessary to get reliable differential expression fora fold change of 2 (or equivalently) 1/2 if present with n biological replicates in each sample. I would estimate this for microarrays using the power of the frequentist t-test and assuming p=0.001 to compensate for false discoveries. i would do the actual analysis with Limma and Benjamin-Hochberg but I use the simpler model for the power.

2. (related question). Is there an expression for the power of the negative binomial test that shows the number of biological replicates
    necessary to detect a statistically significant difference between
    condition 1 with counts=k1 and condition 2 with counts=k2 to a specified alpha with a given power?

3. Is there a good rule of thumb for the number of reads for differential
    expression. Intuitively, I think that it would be larger than the 40M
    reads necessary to observe each transcript at least once.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that you may have.

Thanks and best wishes,
    Rich
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Richard A. Friedman, PhD
    Associate Research Scientist,
    Biomedical Informatics Shared Resource
    Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center (HICCC)
    Lecturer,
    Department of Biomedical Informatics (DBMI)
    Educational Coordinator,
    Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (C2B2)/
    National Center for Multiscale Analysis of Genomic Networks (MAGNet)
    Room 824
    Irving Cancer Research Center
    Columbia University
    1130 St. Nicholas Ave
    New York, NY 10032
    (212)851-4765 (voice)
    [email protected]

I am a Bayesian. When I see a multiple-choice question on a test and I don't
    know the answer I say "eeney-meaney-miney-moe".

Rose Friedman, Age 14

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses