Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reads of Insert - PacBio, Forward or Reverse?

Dear all,

I am wondering when the analysis software like smrtPORTAL generate the Reads of Insert from the subreads, in which orientation those reads would be ( I mean the reads of Insert reads). And if some of them in reverse, is it reverse or reverse complement. And is there any way to find out how many reads of each orientation you have?

I am asking because, in my data around 14000 Reads of Insert, I have a significant number of the reverse reads, i can see them appearing on the IGV when i got the sam file. And want to know if whether each Read of Insert represents one molecule, or I have to count the Reverse as well, so will have 2 reads for one molecule. In this way of calculating it, then i would have only 7000 reads that represent 7000 individual molecules???

Many thanks

Around half should be "forward" and half should be "reverse". Each molecule should generate one read of insert, not two.

Comment

Reference

Dear Brian, thank you for your answer.

Are you aware about any possible reference where I can find more detailed information about the process of producing forward and reverse reads, and how this can be treated in the context of the downstream analysis.

Many thanks

Comment

All normal high-throughput DNA sequencing produces 50% of reads forward and 50% reverse; so, downstream analysis tools are designed to cope with that, typically by treating the strand as unimportant. There are some notable exceptions, such as strand-specific RNA-seq.

In some cases, like when calling variations after alignment, requiring the variation to have been seen both on a plus and minus mapped read can be used as a heuristic to reduce false positives, but for the most part, the strand is ignored.

PacBio is a little different because the molecules can be read multiple times, alternating between plus and minus. Probably, the strand of the read of insert is the strand of the first complete read-through, but it doesn't really matter, and of course the software has no way of knowing which strand is which since it depends on the reference.

As for references for reading further... hmmm, maybe someone else will suggest one?

Comment

For a single molecule (SMRT Bell) sequencing can start anywhere, therefore for a single consensus (read of insert) the chances of being forward or reverse are 50/50. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2926623/

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses