X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Targeted transcript sequencing-Iso-Seq

Hello guys,

Hi Guys,

I am preparing to use PacBio Isoforms sequencing, to sequence the total human RNA searching for specific transcripts, which are 7.4-7.7kb long, and occurring in a very low frequency (~1%, if not lower) among total RNA. The main goal is to characterise and quantify these specific, low-frequency RNA molecules. I want to kindly ask for your advice as I am not sure of the following points:

1) How deep could the PacBio Iso-Seq detect in terms of number of transcript? I have been searching in vein to find a reference for this!

2) Will it help to reliably detect those rare molecules if I increase the number of SMRTcells?

3) Taking into consideration the length of the target transcripts (7.4-7.7kb), how many full transcript could I retrieve with a reasonable number of passes, say around >=3, in other words, how good is the chance for at least 1/3 of ZMW productivity 1 to get a high quality Read of Insert?

Many thanks

I can answer most of these questions:

1) With the current Iso-Seq workflow (and a properly loaded sample), on a per-SMRT Cell basis, you should get ~50,000 reads with ~20,000-25,000 being full length reads.

2) Yes, increasing the number of SMRT Cells will improve your chances of seeing rare transcripts / rare isoforms. It's a numbers game and depends on how abundant the transcript is.

3) With the current sequencing chemistry (P6/C4), the average read length is ~10-15 kb. There is a distribution of lengths and I don't know off the top of my head how many will provide 3+ passes on a 7kb insert. However, I'm not sure that 3+ passes will be necessary to answer your experimental questions.

Have you considered doing targeted Iso-Seq? It might work well for this project.

- Tyson Clark

Comment

Hi Tyson,

I thought the 3 passes will provide enough data for building the correcting the sequencing error. However, it seems that I did not take into consideration the new sequencing chemistry. Is there any source that can help me to understand the error correction of the long Reads of Insert (in my case 7.5kb), and how one pass of the polymerase will guarantee a reliable read?

Many thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
      0 responses