No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truncated BAM files from 1000GP

I got this error message from SAMTOOLS:

samtools view -q 30 NA12878.chrom1.SLX.maq.SRP000032.2009_07.bam 1:532036-533055
    [bam_header_read] EOF marker is absent. The input is probably truncated.
    V_0003_FC3009KAAXX:2:22:1481:1181 99 1 531990 72 47M = 532035 92 TTAGGGTGCCTGGGTAATAGCAGAGGAAGAAAAAGGCTTAGAGTTGG +>5@?>+A::BA@=::7<8@78?3@<8:<88:::=:2<1.<.;5-93 RG:Z:SRR001134 MF:i:18 Aq:i:0 NM:i:1 UQ:i:30 H0:i:0 H1:i:6

when using this BAM file from the 1000GP: ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...32.2009_07.bam

Is a truncated file a sign of something seriously wrong? I am using SAMTOOLS v. 0.1.16 if that helps.

A truncated file means it didn't get copied properly - check the size (in bytes) matches the original. I would further suggest verifying the md5 checksum, but it doesn't look like these are provided at ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...878/alignment/

I've also seen this "EOF marker is absent" on a valid BAM file when using an old version of samtools. Can you double check which version of samtools you are running?

Comment

from samtools NEWS file ...

Beta Release 0.1.6 (2 September, 2009)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notable changes:

* BAM files now have an end-of-file (EOF) marker to facilitate
      truncation detection. A warning will be given if an on-disk BAM file
      does not have this marker. The warning will be seen on BAM files
      generated by an older version of samtools. It does NO harm.

Comment

Ah - so it would be nice if instead of this:

[bam_header_read] EOF marker is absent. The input is probably truncated.

it said this:

[bam_header_read] EOF marker is absent. The input is probably truncated, or was from samtools prior to v0.1.6.

Given the samtools 0.1.6 was released about a year and a half ago, I guess it is uncommon to fall over this issue unless re-analysing old data.

Comment

Hi,

I am using tophat to align my reads and created a non-sorted bam files to do the sorting separately.

When I run
          samtools view -h tophat_out_dilp/accepted_hits.bam | head -n 30

I also get the error message
          "[bam_header_read] EOF marker is absent. The input is probably truncated."

I am using the samtools Version: 0.1.16 (r963:234)
          Does tophat uses a different version of samtools?

I can't explain this message otherwise.

Does it means anything about the file or can I still work with it normally?

Thanks

Assa

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses