SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pathway analysis recommendations? Pesto Bioinformatics 5 05-25-2012 11:55 AM
Running Mac on Windows or Get Windows Laptop lsbrath General 23 04-04-2012 08:22 AM
Read depth recommendations dpryan RNA Sequencing 2 09-30-2011 12:15 PM
Recommendations for sequencing facility crh Core Facilities 9 06-15-2011 02:13 PM
recommendations on multiplex? greigite Illumina/Solexa 24 08-30-2010 05:48 PM

Old 07-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Richard Finney

What VM do you recommend?
Richard Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
Wallysb01

VirtualBox seems to run Ubuntu fine. Plus its easy to set up and free. Its also possible to hack OSX on VirtualBox.
Wallysb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #23
chadn737

Has anyone here used a macbook air? I am really tempted to switch from my 15 inch macbook pro to a 13 inch air, move all my analysis to the server (which I really should do anyhow) and use a monitor with the air.
chadn737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #24
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadn737 View Post
Has anyone here used a macbook air? I am really tempted to switch from my 15 inch macbook pro to a 13 inch air, move all my analysis to the server (which I really should do anyhow) and use a monitor with the air.
I essentially did something similar, but with windows. I found it annoying at times when I didn't have the internet but needed to do some work that didn't require the power of a server - I couldn't do anything, granted that wasn't often. Now I use bio-linux7 (Ubuntu 12.04 plus a load of useful programs) and aren't as reliant on my cluster for every little thing. If you are addicted to MS office you can even install it on linux now using PlayOnLinux (it isn't perfect, but it is useful for times when someone gives you a .doc or .docx that LibreOffice doesn't open properly).
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #25
rhinoceros

Quote:
I have a 15" rMBP at work, but bought a 13" MBA (everything maxed out) for home. It's perfectly capable for lots of stuff by itself. However, in my experience the battery life isn't nearly as good as promised. I get maybe 7-8 hours of regular use.. which isn't bad but still..
rhinoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:15 AM   #26
GenoMax

If "regular" use includes video watching then the battery life is line with what rhinoceros is reporting. If one is only browsing/using terminal then the battery lasts significantly longer than 7-8 h. If this is not your only/main computer then you could easily go a week before needing a recharge.

I recommend the 13" MBA. I personally prefer the bigger screen to get work done since I no longer have young eyes. Either (13" or 11" MBA) travels well, if that is a consideration. New MBA's are powerful enough (core i5/7 CPU's, PCI-E SSD's) that you could do some analysis locally if you find yourself without network access.

Last edited by GenoMax; 09-10-2013 at 04:17 AM.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #27
chadn737

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoMax View Post
If "regular" use includes video watching then the battery life is line with what rhinoceros is reporting. If one is only browsing/using terminal then the battery lasts significantly longer than 7-8 h. If this is not your only/main computer then you could easily go a week before needing a recharge.

I recommend the 13" MBA. I personally prefer the bigger screen to get work done since I no longer have young eyes. Either (13" or 11" MBA) travels well, if that is a consideration. New MBA's are powerful enough (core i5/7 CPU's, PCI-E SSD's) that you could do some analysis locally if you find yourself without network access.
That's what I am wondering. I am really trying to stop analysis on my laptops anyway, but I still like the flexibility it gives me to be able to do stuff if need too. Although at this point, probably the most intense stuff I will do on my laptop will be statistical analysis in R. If I do go for an air, it will be a 13 in maxed out. But that 2 inch downgrade in screen size compared to my 15 in pro is what bothers me. On the other hand, if I can connect to a monitor in the lab or at home, then thats kind of a moot point. I was hoping apple would release new macbook pros today, but that seems unlikely.
chadn737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #28
sdriscoll
I like code

Quote:
I use a Macbook Air 13" for most of the programming work I do when I'm not in the lab (I have powerful desktop workstations at the lab). I do a lot of analysis code development so I usually need to run some analysis as I go. I tend to keep the data sets small when working on the air. 99% of the time it feels very quick because of the SSD. That other 1% when I'm running analysis I can tell it lacks processing power. But I didn't get it for analysis so it actually works perfectly for me.