Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v4 Deposition Efficiency?

To me it seems obvious that if you are running your SOLiD, you want to do so such that the maximum number of reads result. Obviously not at the expense of lower data quality, etc. But just as a general principle: increased numbers of reads for the same run chemistry costs == good.

Under v3+ we had great difficulty achieving the 500 million usable beads per slide metric until it was finally revealed to us that 500 million/slide was pushing the v3+ deposition method to the extreme. We had to deposit well over 1 billion beads to reach 500 million beads per slide.

So now we are nearing the time when we will be doing our first v4 depositions. New deposition procedure, said to give higher deposition efficiency but similar issue: we want to deposit the number of beads that will result in 700 million beads/slide, but not more. (Well, 710M or 720M would probably be okay.) The manual is no help at all in this matter and our FAS will only tell us to be conservative. You know, deposit 700 million beads and see what you get.

So, I am sure there are v4 runs that have been started at least. How about we post our real world "number of beads deposited" vs. "number of usable beads" results? This would all be done under the caveat that if you do go substantially over 700 million beads/slide, then you will likely have numerous panels will bead densities too high for the software to process.

That said, what, in your hands, did it take to get to x number of "usable beads" under v4?

--
    Phillip

Started our first v4 run. 1 billion beads deposited resulted in 508 million usable beads.

Comment

I take it this is based off p2 numbers on WFA?
      how was the p1/p2 ratio?

Typically my variation in deposition has been isolated to WFA deposition problems. If you deposit your WFA poorly, then it translates directly to your full run. It's pretty easy to get variation in WFA bead numbers if you are not careful while preparing that slide. It's more likely you are depositing well under 1 billion... but you think it's 1 billion.

Is there a better way to count beads? not that i know, but i still use the color chart from time to time.

Comment

We use both the color chart and optical density measured on the nanodrop. We decided to deposit 1 billion beads, yes, because the WFA gave us about 70% deposition efficiency.

For these beads the WFA showed P2/P1 ratios of 88%. I don't put much stock in this metric. I remember under v2 it would nearly always report >100% P2/P1 ratios...

Yes, I think it is possible that our counting is off. But our Service Engineer always mentions finding beads in the waste lines, so I think substantial numbers get washed off the slide before the first ligation.

Much of this could have to do with the deposition aspect that AB is most secretive about: tailing -- and what the slide binding chemistry is as it relates to tailing. In the deposition procedure the tailing reaction went from 1 hr (v3+) to 2hrs (v4).

--
        Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
        0 responses