Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question and Confuse about Complete Genomics

Hi, I just saw this company recently. I feel very exciting and interesting about the technique that they used for sequencing human genome. But I faced some problem and can't understand some technique used behind this company.
    1. Can anybody explained the technique that used by Complete Genomics?
    2. I also confused about the Read length of bases that Complete Genomics can sequence. Is it 35 bp? 70 bp? or 80 bp? I feel quite confuse when read through their paper. Can anybody explain it in detail?
    3. I also confused about the expected throughput MB (million bases)/day by this company. As I know, 454 Life Science is 96 MB per day and Solexa is about 500 MB per day. Is the Complete Genomics faster than them?

Thanks a lot for all of the advises and explanation.

Hi,

Great to hear you are excited about our genome sequencing service...I hope I can answer your question here (Also check the thread here:
    Sequencing technologies without a commercially released platform (Oxford Nanopore, Halcyon Molecular, etc.)

1) We use a technique called Combinatorial Probe Anchored Ligation that reads each individual base from a DNA Nano Ball that contains the genomic sequence in a library construct. Our base reads are independent of each other, that will ensure that each base is read with the most possible accuracy.

2) The read structure of our technology is two times 5+10+10+10 = 2 x 35 = 70 bp. We use a mate paired structure, where each half of the pair consists of 35 bp and each half is separated by a larger gap of about 400 bp. The mate paired read structure is pretty common in the short read technologies and not specific to our technology. Due to the library construction, we only read 5 bases from one of the adapters, since there are only 12-14 nucleotides between the Ad1 and Ad2 adapters. We actually read some bases twice, once from each side, hence our notation of negative gaps. So technically, we have two times [32-34 bp] = [64-68] unique reads for a sequence, separated by a gap of about 400 bp. See our whitepaper here for more information about our library constructs.

3) The throughput of our service is indeed quite high, but since we don't sell machines but a sequencing service, the throughput per machine is not that relevant. For our first genome that we recently released (See our website here: http://www.completegenomics.com/dataRelease/) we sequenced 630 Giga bp on 9 machines in 8 days, so that is a throughput of about 9 GBP per day. Mind you that was one of our earlier machines and when you know we have announced we will do 20,000 genomes per year very soon at 40x coverage, you can calculate from that we will have a throughput of 6500 GBP per day! Scary, isn't it!

Hope this helped...Let me know if you have any more questions...

Thon
    Complete Genomics
    Thon
    548 Market Street, Suite 82804
    San Francisco, CA 94104, USA
    [email protected]
    www.strandls.com
    Pioneers in Discovery Research Informatics

Comment

yeld

so one run produces 70 gbp andf 70 bp reads?

Comment

DNA Nano Balls?
        No comment besides a chortle.
        I'm sure your marketing team will have a challenge with that technological description.

Good Luck!

Comment

I also confused?
          9 GBP per day = ?? mb (million bases)

Comment

1 gigabasepairs = 1000 megabasepairs, so 9 gigabasepairs per day = 9,000 megabasepairs per day

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses