No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssDNA in sample from targeted exon capture affecting quantification

Has anybody experienced this problem:?

I had too many clusters in a run and I’d like to ask if it ever happened to you: the DNA samples may have some single stranded DNA that is not quantified by the bioanalyzer nor Qubit (as they rely on intercalating dyes for dsDNA); I found out that using the kapa real time PCR kit (that picks up also ssDNA) the values are higher. The samples are 300 bp and in EB-tween 0.1%. After exon capture the elution from beads is alkaline and I wonder if that may be the reason why there some ssDNA.

I usually load the flow cell for a GAIIx run at 9 pM.

Comment

Are you using the Agilent kit? After elution the solution is alkaline, then you add in neutralization buffer, and then do PCR, which should cause everything to be double stranded.

Comment

Hi vasvale,
        I think most people have this issue to one extent or another. Amplicons derived from adapter-dimers or primer-dimers can (and do) anneal to real (sample library) amplicons at the adapter sites they share.

Once annealed they will not be removed on the basis of molecular weight (gel cuts, Ampure isolation) unless these were to be done under strand denaturing conditions.

So even if you do a gel cut and determine that you have a clean band in the desired size range using an Agilent DNA chip, you can be fooled because the small amplicons are "hitchhiking" on the backs of your normal library molecules.

Then nearly all methods of determining the amplicon concentration of your sample will be confounded because they rely on the length determination done in the double stranded form.

I would recommend that you assay some of your libraries on an Agilient RNA chip after strand denaturing them:

Bridged amplification & clustering followed by sequencing by synthesis. (Genome Analyzer / HiSeq / MiSeq)

If you see very large peaks below 150 nt then it is likely that some of them are hitchhiking small amplicons.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses