SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sample cleanup question AngA34 Illumina/Solexa 3 01-24-2017 04:46 AM
generate fastq files for entire sample pool, remove human reads, then demultiplex sk8bro Bioinformatics 26 12-20-2015 02:59 AM
Program for aligning particular set of reads to an entire NGS dataset Alun3.1 Bioinformatics 4 02-27-2015 09:46 AM
Dual SPRI cleanup with Chipseq taqpol2011 Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 03-04-2014 10:33 AM
SPRI bead for PCR cleanup in illumina pair end library preparation Berkeley2010 Illumina/Solexa 2 10-20-2010 12:46 PM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
AvantS
Junior Member
 
Location: Arizona

Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Default Loss of entire sample set after SPRI cleanup

Hello all,

I was prepping samples for WGS Using the Kapa HyperPrep workflow. After the final cleanup with 0.8x AMPure SPRI beads, my gel confirmation showed that most of my samples were lost.

I'm trying to mentally troubleshoot what could have gone wrong, but I don't have extensive experience with library prepping to know where to look for the problem.

I washed the samples+beads in 80% EtOH twice for 30s and eluted in 10mM TE+0.05% Tween20 buffer warmed to 55C. I air dried the beads for 2 minutes between the wash and elution. I incubated in buffer for 3 minutes before removing the beads and used a plate shaker to assist with DNA re-suspension. The cleanup was done with a bead extractor to minimize sample loss.

I redid the cleanup using pre-warmed 10mM Tris-HCl + 0.05% Tween20 instead of TE as the buffer, but the outcome was the same.

Does anyone have suggestions on what could have happened to effect the affinity of the DNA and beads?

Any ideas are welcome.
__________________
ƧΛVΛПƬ

Last edited by AvantS; 05-23-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Clarification
AvantS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
seqsuave
Junior Member
 
Location: Texas

Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 8
Default

How fresh was the 80% Ethanol, if ethanol evaporated off you could have had elution during the washes. It is recommended that 80% Ethanol is not more than a week old.
seqsuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
AvantS
Junior Member
 
Location: Arizona

Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Default

@SeqSuave. It was made on the same day as the bead cleanup.
AvantS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
itstrieu
Junior Member
 
Location: Atlanta

Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default

I am assuming you are doing the PCR-free workflow? What was the input concentration and the concentration after final clean-up. You might have to increase your input concentration or do a PCR step to amply your library.

Also during the drying step if the beads are over-dried and you see hairline cracks, I would incubate the beads for 5 - 6 minutes to help increase yield.
itstrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
AvantS
Junior Member
 
Location: Arizona

Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Default

@itstrieu The workflow includes 3 PCRs: End repair & A-tailing PCR, Adapter Ligation, and an Indexing. Input concentration was 100ng/uL per sample. Quantification after cleanup was not done, since the gel-confirmation showed few successful sample bands.
AvantS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
itstrieu
Junior Member
 
Location: Atlanta

Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default

Is the workflow

ER,AT, Ligation --> 0.8X bead cleanup --> Elute in 25 uL follow by Library Amplification --> Post-amplification Cleanup using 1x bead? With the concentration being 100ng/uL, how much total DNA is going into library prep?

Was their a QC check after fragmentation? One common mistake I see is using elution buffer/water during the wash step instead of ethanol which could wash away your DNA. Not on purpose but accidental since both on them are clear liquids.

Last edited by itstrieu; 05-24-2019 at 10:54 AM.
itstrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #7
AvantS
Junior Member
 
Location: Arizona

Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstrieu View Post
Is the workflow

ER,AT, Ligation --> 0.8X bead cleanup --> Elute in 25 uL follow by Library Amplification --> Post-amplification Cleanup using 1x bead? With the concentration being 100ng/uL, how much total DNA is going into library prep?

Was their a QC check after fragmentation? One common mistake I see is using elution buffer/water during the wash step instead of ethanol which could wash away your DNA. Not on purpose but accidental since both on them are clear liquids.
Our post-amp cleanup used 0.8x bead. The samples will be diluted to 20nM for sequencing.

It's not possible that the elution buffer was used instead of EtOH because each U-bottom plate used for cleanup was labeled with the reagent it contains (Sample, EtOH W1, EtOH W2, Etc)and I added the warmed elution buffer to its plate while air drying the beads.
AvantS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
itstrieu
Junior Member
 
Location: Atlanta

Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 8
Default

The only two things I can think of is DNA in buffers containing high concentrations of EDTA, other chelating agents or salts may inhibit the
end repair and A-tailing reaction. The other is something going wrong with library amplification (maybe your index primers).

If you can, check the concentration or run a gel/tape of the adapter-ligated library to see if the yield is reasonable going into library amplification.
itstrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:40 AM   #9
AvantS
Junior Member
 
Location: Arizona

Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstrieu View Post
The only two things I can think of is DNA in buffers containing high concentrations of EDTA, other chelating agents or salts may inhibit the
end repair and A-tailing reaction. The other is something going wrong with library amplification (maybe your index primers).

If you can, check the concentration or run a gel/tape of the adapter-ligated library to see if the yield is reasonable going into library amplification.
Thank you for the great advice. I'll run a gel confirmation to see if my adapter ligated libraries still have sample.
AvantS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #10
beancat
Junior Member
 
Location: Houston, TX

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Default

I've used Kapa Hyperplus 3-4 times a week for well over a year and what causes me to decrease yield or lose samples have almost always been the the frag enzyme activity or sometimes beads.

Fragmentation: Under or over fragmentation will definitely mess up your yield. Make sure your kit is not expired, enzymes are always stored on ice and never vortexed, and buffers have no precipitation remaining. Kapa is also super temperature sensitive so maybe there was an issue there with frag enzyme activity? If i had to bet, I would say this is probably what happened to you.

Beads: Make sure the beads are well suspended and at the correct temperature. I personally elute in 10 mM Tris, ph 8.0 and think tween just gets in the way. I think its a good idea to never use TE for library preparation.
beancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:00 AM   #11
AvantS
Junior Member
 
Location: Arizona

Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancat View Post
I've used Kapa Hyperplus 3-4 times a week for well over a year and what causes me to decrease yield or lose samples have almost always been the the frag enzyme activity or sometimes beads.

Fragmentation: Under or over fragmentation will definitely mess up your yield. Make sure your kit is not expired, enzymes are always stored on ice and never vortexed, and buffers have no precipitation remaining. Kapa is also super temperature sensitive so maybe there was an issue there with frag enzyme activity? If i had to bet, I would say this is probably what happened to you.

Beads: Make sure the beads are well suspended and at the correct temperature. I personally elute in 10 mM Tris, ph 8.0 and think tween just gets in the way. I think its a good idea to never use TE for library preparation.
That sounds very likely to me as well. My team and I will redo the pipeline keeping those suggestions in mind. Thank you.
__________________
ƧΛVΛПƬ
AvantS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:33 AM   #12
jmc887
Junior Member
 
Location: Luxembourg

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancat View Post
I've used Kapa Hyperplus 3-4 times a week for well over a year and what causes me to decrease yield or lose samples have almost always been the the frag enzyme activity or sometimes beads.

Fragmentation: Under or over fragmentation will definitely mess up your yield. Make sure your kit is not expired, enzymes are always stored on ice and never vortexed, and buffers have no precipitation remaining. Kapa is also super temperature sensitive so maybe there was an issue there with frag enzyme activity? If i had to bet, I would say this is probably what happened to you.

Beads: Make sure the beads are well suspended and at the correct temperature. I personally elute in 10 mM Tris, ph 8.0 and think tween just gets in the way. I think its a good idea to never use TE for library preparation.
Hi,

Interestingly I had a similar problem with the HyperPlus, my post can be found here:
http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...highlight=kapa

beancat, since you are an experienced user of KAPA Hyperplus I would like to ask you what was your average pre-capture yield? I got an average yield of 500 ng, however the protocol says we should get more than 1000 ng. I was also thinking I was loosing sample during the SPRI clean ups, I mean using the same 100ng input with other kits I get higher pre-capture yields.

In anycase I will be following this thread for any updates.
Thanks!
jmc887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:47 AM   #13
beancat
Junior Member
 
Location: Houston, TX

Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc887 View Post
Hi,

Interestingly I had a similar problem with the HyperPlus, my post can be found here:
http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...highlight=kapa

beancat, since you are an experienced user of KAPA Hyperplus I would like to ask you what was your average pre-capture yield? I got an average yield of 500 ng, however the protocol says we should get more than 1000 ng. I was also thinking I was loosing sample during the SPRI clean ups, I mean using the same 100ng input with other kits I get higher pre-capture yields.

In anycase I will be following this thread for any updates.
Thanks!
So I cut my reaction volume considerably with a lot of other deviations from the normal protocol (including PCR-free) so I don't think a direct comparison is useful. The only thing I can say is that it performs a lot better (nearly 25% better) than Qiagen's QIAseq FX kit with the same template input.

Last edited by beancat; 06-25-2019 at 05:52 AM.
beancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO