SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mapping 3'ends frobert Bioinformatics 0 02-14-2012 01:00 PM
unmapped reads assigned to chromosomes efoss Bioinformatics 4 12-01-2011 01:24 PM
Paired-end reads mapping to different chromosomes... rareaquaticbadger Bioinformatics 1 06-27-2011 04:24 AM
Exon-Junction mapping: re-assigning CDS-mapped reads to chromosomes sridharacharya RNA Sequencing 1 10-21-2010 04:07 PM
tophat paired reads mapped to different chromosomes wenhuang Bioinformatics 3 06-23-2010 05:23 AM

Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
ETHANol

Default Reads mapping of ends of chromosomes

First, does anybody have a script that will trim reads that map off the ends of chromosomes in SAM files?

Second, in case anyone needs a perl script that will 'take care' of reads that map off the ends of chromosomes in BED files I wrote one. Seems like it works. Maybe trivial to some but not bad for a salty old bench scientist. I think it works but I am no scripting expert. If anyone has reason to believe otherwise I'd like to know.

Code:
#/usr/bin/perl
use strict; use warnings;

#bedEndRepair.pl by Ethan Ford.  Use at own risk!!!!!

#bedEndRepair.pl:  Takes reads that map off the end of chromosomes in a bed file and repositions them as a two nucleotide read at
#					end of the chromosome.

#Usage: 1) make a fasta index file with samtools with the following command: 'samtools faidx <ref.fasta>' or
#			make a 2 column tab deliminted text file. The first column contains the chromosome name written as it is in column 1 of your bed file, e.g. chr1,
#			and the second column has the length of the corresponding chromosome (and integer)

#		2) type: "perl bedEndRepair.pl path/to/your/indexfile.fai path/to/your/bedfile.bed" into the command line.
#		3) Output is saved in your current working dirctory with the name yourbedfile.repaired.bed

my $outfile = $ARGV[1];
$outfile =~ s/\.bed$/\.repaired.bed/;
open(BEDOUT, ">$outfile") or die("Failed to open output file");

open(INDEXFILE, $ARGV[0]) or die "Failed to open bed file";
open(BEDFILE, $ARGV[1]) or die "Failed to open index file";

# turns indexfile.fai into a hash
my %indexhash;

while (<INDEXFILE>) {	
	chomp;
	my ($indexchr, $indexlength) = split("\t", $_);
	$indexhash{$indexchr} = $indexlength;
};

while (<BEDFILE>) {
	chomp;
	(my ($chr), my ($start), my ($stop), my ($c4), my ($c5), my ($strand)) = split("\t");

if ($start < 1) 
			{print BEDOUT $chr, "\t", '1', "\t", '2', "\t", $c4, "\t", $c5, "\t", $strand, "\n";}

elsif ($stop > $indexhash{"$chr"})
			{print BEDOUT $chr, "\t", $indexhash{"$chr"}-1, "\t", $indexhash{"$chr"}, "\t", $c4, "\t", $c5, "\t", $strand, "\n";}

else
			{print BEDOUT $chr, "\t", $start, "\t", $stop, "\t", $c4, "\t", $c5, "\t", $strand, "\n";}

};	

close (BEDFILE); close (INDEXFILE); close (BEDOUT);
exit;