SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BUffers for ChargeSwitch Magnetic Beads ronibras Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 01-13-2012 03:50 AM
magnetic beads for gel extraction Erika Feltrin Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 03-30-2011 07:39 AM
Troubleshooting EZ Bead vs manual bead prep pmiguel SOLiD 0 01-18-2011 06:33 AM
Bead preparation for "GS Junior" with ABI EZ Bead Dystem Nelix 454 Pyrosequencing 1 06-18-2010 12:09 AM
PubMed: A multidimensional electrophoretic system of separation for the analysis of g Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 05-09-2010 07:00 PM

Old 02-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Zimbobo

Default ==> magnetic bead separation magnet

Hello,

during the enrichment step with the OneTouch ES magnetic beads have to be separated. The protocol recommends a DynaMag-2, they are about $500! - Does anybody know of a less expensive alternative?

I couldn't find an alternative with googleing.
Does anybody know the magnetic field strength of a DynaMag-2?
Are there any issues if we take a weaker magnet besides the separation taking longer?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Zimbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
lterhune

We use this rack from NEB for bead separation:
http://www.neb.com/nebecomm/products/products1506.asp
lterhune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
protist

Got one from IST Engineering (http://www.istbiotech.com/products/m...pulling-block/) - 6 sample size for $129. Works well and as it is opaque white the beads are very visible.
protist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Silvia Weidner

Hello,

I am looking for a cheeper alternativ to AMPure beads which works as good as the AMPure beads purification.
If anyone knows, please let me know
Thanks in advance
Silvia
Silvia Weidner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
Jonny_D

Fridge magnet works, it will just take longer.
Jonny_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
Silvia Weidner

Default cheep alternativ AMpure beads

Hi Jonny,
What is fridge magnet works? How does it work? Where can i find a protocol?
Silvia Weidner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #7
Jonny_D

Sorry Silvia, I was replying to the original post.
Jonny_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Skamp

I use this protocol to make my own Ampure XP beads and have found they work as well as the commercial kit for a fraction of the price.
Skamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
snetmcom

this is not a nucleic acid capture. it's a biotin/streptavidin.

There are plenty of cheap magnets out there. Any tube magnet should work.
snetmcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
genseq

Cool DIY magnetic racks

Hello,

I'm trying to develop a cheeper alternativ to AMPure beads and I've been using for this job variety homemade magnetic racks. This is much cheaper than brand-name racks. For example, AmbionŽ Magnetic Stand-96 costs $343. Its analogue (used PCR plate + magnets) cost me <$10.
http://products.invitrogen.com/ivgn/product/AM10027
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foto 1.JPG (62.5 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 0,2.JPG (37.3 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 96.JPG (24.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Magnetic Racks.JPG (37.4 KB, 156 views)
genseq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
genseq

Cool DIY magnetic racks

Racks "molbiol.ru":
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plexiglas.JPG (64.5 KB, 167 views)
Old 06-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
jtackney

The protocol that Skamp recommends from ethanomics, which itself is a combined protocol from other published papers, works great in our hands and at a very very small fraction of the cost of Ampure beads. Agencourt is making a killing with the prices they charge.
jtackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
BrianJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by genseq View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to develop a cheeper alternativ to AMPure beads and I've been using for this job variety homemade magnetic racks. This is much cheaper than brand-name racks. For example, AmbionŽ Magnetic Stand-96 costs $343. Its analogue (used PCR plate + magnets) cost me <$10.
http://products.invitrogen.com/ivgn/product/AM10027
I like your racks. How well did your 96 well plate setups work for .2 ml tubes? Are those the small rare earth magnets from the usual suspects (Harbor Freight, Grainger et al)?

Thanks,
Brian
BrianJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
genseq

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianJames View Post
I like your racks. How well did your 96 well plate setups work for .2 ml tubes? Are those the small rare earth magnets from the usual suspects (Harbor Freight, Grainger et al)?
Brian
Plate rack can work with 0,2 ml tubes, but I prefer use for this tubes a special racks for 2 strips or 16 tubes.
Any rare earth magnets from China you can buy in Moscow:
http://mirmagnitov.ru/permanent_magnets/disc/
Old 10-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
genseq

Default New magnetic racks

This advertisement is placed in the end of the article "Rothberg sequencing" in the journal Biomics:
http://biomics.ru/nomera/2013/57-rot...equencing.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnetic Racks_en.jpg (77.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 07-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
cdb3ny

Default epimag ht magnet plate

We recently purchased Epigenetik's Epimag HT plate magnet for prepping illumina libraries with ampure beads - at $199 it looked like a great deal at half the price of others, like the similar looking Ambion plate.

Sadly, in our hands, it was a very poor decision. Beads slid down the side after the pull down, the plate is not held securely relative to the magnets so everything moves around, and you lose beads very easily. Customer service later told us it doesn't work very well with standard conical PCR plates, rather you really need to use flat cylindrical flat bottom plates so the sample is closer to the magnet (what?). This is not what was advertised. After losing $50 shipping cost, six illumina preps(!), we faced a $50 restocking fee and return shipping to boot. Poor choice for us all around. We ended up buying the Ambion Magnetic Stand-96 and couldn't be happier aside from the price. Though the two look similar, the functionality is vastly different.
cdb3ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #17
Epigentek
Registered Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb3ny View Post
We recently purchased Epigenetik's Epimag HT plate magnet for prepping illumina libraries with ampure beads - at $199 it looked like a great deal at half the price of others, like the similar looking Ambion plate.

Sadly, in our hands, it was a very poor decision. Beads slid down the side after the pull down, the plate is not held securely relative to the magnets so everything moves around, and you lose beads very easily. Customer service later told us it doesn't work very well with standard conical PCR plates, rather you really need to use flat cylindrical flat bottom plates so the sample is closer to the magnet (what?). This is not what was advertised. After losing $50 shipping cost, six illumina preps(!), we faced a $50 restocking fee and return shipping to boot. Poor choice for us all around. We ended up buying the Ambion Magnetic Stand-96 and couldn't be happier aside from the price. Though the two look similar, the functionality is vastly different.
We are sorry to hear of your poor experience with the EpiMag stand. The EpiMag is designed as a perfect fit for flat-bottom plates. The conical PCR plate is an optional addition through the use of the included universal adapter, so you do not have to buy many different shaped magnetic stands. Utilizing conical PCR plates requires you to use the included universal adapter and thus you will need to shift the adapter/vessel against the metal rods. This is because the adapter needs to encompass all various types of vessels, including tubes.

Although we understand that the EpiMag may not have performed to your expectations for your particular project, we hope that you will come to find that the EpiMag is handy if you begin to use other shaped vessels in the future.

The restocking fee for non-defective items was not geared specifically towards you, but is standard even if you had requested to return the item within the original return period. If you wish to still make the return, please contact customer service. We would be happy to work out a compromise or alternative offer.

We appreciate your feedback, as it will help to improve our products and services.
Epigentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #18
nextgen

If youare still looking, PCRClean DX is the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia Weidner View Post
Hello,

I am looking for a cheeper alternativ to AMPure beads which works as good as the AMPure beads purification.
If anyone knows, please let me know
Thanks in advance
Silvia
nextgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #19
genseq

Thumbs up New magnetic racks

http://molbiol.ru/forums/uploads/pos...1441896725.jpg
http://molbiol.ru/forums/uploads/pos...1443253903.jpg

Old 10-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #20
d00b

Default homemade magnetic stand for amplicon purification

Last edited by d00b; 10-29-2015 at 12:55 PM.
d00b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enrichment, iontorrnet, magnetic beads