SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Introductions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I make directional or non-directional BS-seq libraries? shawpa Sample Prep / Library Generation 8 11-22-2017 03:44 AM
Illumina Directional RNA-Seq flobpf Illumina/Solexa 58 11-19-2015 03:18 PM
Analysis of Directional mRNA-seq data / Illumina jmtepp RNA Sequencing 7 02-26-2014 11:13 PM
Directional RNA-seq: Illumina Tru-seq versus dUTP based method jazz Sample Prep / Library Generation 35 06-06-2013 10:50 AM
Illumina directional RNA-seq protocol Herve Illumina/Solexa 10 06-13-2010 07:18 AM

Old 08-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Pilar Z

Default Illumina directional libraries

Hi,
I am working with an Illumina Genome Analyser GaIIx. I am new at this, and I am studying to produce directional libraries for RNA-Seq. But I have some doubts about what I read in the following article referring to Illumina RNA ligation protocol:
Illumina decaps the RNA with TAP, fragments the RNA with Sodium citrate, then 3' dephosphorylates (with Antartic phosphatase) and then phosphorylates at its 5' end (with T4 polynucleotide kinase) . It don't understand why it does that, because as far as I understand, after decapping, RNA is monophosphorylated on its 5' end so it would be ready for adapter ligation...
Thank you very much for your help,
Pilar
Pilar Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
kcchan

After fragmentation, the new 5' end of each fragment will need to be phosphorylated with PNK in preparation for adapter ligation. Take a look at this thread which contains a protocol regarding how the process it done.
kcchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Pilar Z

Hi kcchan,
Thank you for your answer.
Yes I know the 5' end needs to be phosphorylated for the adaptor ligation, but the point of my question is, why on the protocol of Illumina RNA ligation (from the article I mention before), before ligating both 3' and 5' adaptors, it does a 3' dephosphorilation... I ignore the reason why after decapping the mRNA the 3' end is phosphorylated, I've always supposed the 5' end is phosphorylated but not the 3' end, which in turn has an OH...
Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Hanabe

The fragmentation is random, the 'break' can occur before or after the phosphate group that links two nukleotides. That means, that some fragments have the P at the 5'-end, some at the 3', some at both ends and some don't have a phosphate group.
Hanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Pilar Z

Thank you very much Hanabe, that definitely clarifies my doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanabe View Post
The fragmentation is random, the 'break' can occur before or after the phosphate group that links two nukleotides. That means, that some fragments have the P at the 5'-end, some at the 3', some at both ends and some don't have a phosphate group.