SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TopHat Error: Could not find Bowtie index files /bowtie-0.12.5/indexes/. rebrendi Bioinformatics 11 06-22-2016 09:55 AM
Bowtie2 long index(.bt21) and tophat sbdk82 Bioinformatics 5 09-04-2015 06:32 AM
Amazon Web Services: Tophat cannot find Bowtie2 even though Bowtie2 is in path Dr_Funkenstein RNA Sequencing 4 03-06-2014 04:55 AM
Tophat can't find Bowtie index files JohnGa Bioinformatics 38 05-17-2013 08:22 AM
Tophat - Could not find Bowtie 2 index files janaahan13 Illumina/Solexa 2 11-28-2012 08:44 AM

Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
thickrick99

Post Tophat Can't Find Bowtie2 Index!?!?!

Hi everyone,

So I am familiar with using tophat for alignment and I used it successfully a few weeks ago with the following command:

tophat -p 4 –G ./Homo_sapiens.knownGene.hg19.sorted.withGenes.gtf --transcriptome-index=transcript_data/known hg19 ERR188021_1.fastq ERR188021_2.fastq &

When I previously ran this, it worked, however I ran it today with different fastq files and it gave me this error:

Error: Could not find Bowtie 2 index files (–G.*.bt2)

It seems like for some reason tophat thinks that -G is the base name for the index files instead of hg19. I have tried adding the full path for the hg19 but that gave the same error, I also tried getting rid of the --transcriptome-index part and that didn't change anything either. I need to have the -G reference transcript when running tophat but I don't know why this error is occuring. I tried to recreate the index files from bowtie2-build and put all 6 files into a folder titled Index which was located on my desktop and then in the above command, changed hg19 to /Path/Desktop/Index/hg19. This also failed as well.

This is really frustrating because the same exact command was working just a few weeks ago. I have top hat version 2.0.11 and bowtie2 version 2.2.3

I really need some help on this since I spent many hours trying to solve this problem. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by thickrick99; 08-12-2014 at 07:58 PM.
thickrick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
WhatsOEver

as far as I remember, tophat is quite sensitive to the correct order of parameters. The error, however, looks more like you forgot a space somewhere - put the full path to the gtf and and the index in a variable and refer to that, this makes it easier to see errors like that. I do have the same versions of tophat and bowtie2 installed and just tried the following (which worked fine)

Code:
b2Index=/path/to/index/files
gffFile=/path/to/gtf/file
tophatDir=/path/to/tophatOutputDir

tophat -o $tophatDir -p 8 -i 20 -G $gffFile $b2Index /path/to/your/fastq/files
WhatsOEver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowtie 2 indexes, rna-seq, tophat 2.0.11