SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Pacific Biosciences

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Improve fragmented genome assembly with PacBio? BasVerb De novo discovery 4 02-08-2016 06:25 AM
PBcR hybrid assembly of 6.5MB genome with PacBio and MiSeq DrSpace Bioinformatics 9 06-11-2015 12:40 PM
Pacbio releases Arabidopsis genome assembly dataset pacbio Pacific Biosciences 1 09-05-2013 07:23 PM
Have a genome assembly, what should I do with 15x Pacbio reads? lemur2 Pacific Biosciences 2 10-25-2012 09:06 PM

Old 10-28-2016, 03:20 AM   #1
carlos

Default Pacbio assembly of polymorphic genome

Hi guys,

a quick question. I am new to pacbio. I've just received pacbio data for assembling a genome (low coverage). It comes from a highly polymorphic genome. What is the most suitable assembler that would handle pacbio and that would let me also keep the two haplotypes separeted?

Best regards,

Carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #2
gconcepcion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos View Post
Hi guys,

a quick question. I am new to pacbio. I've just received pacbio data for assembling a genome (low coverage). It comes from a highly polymorphic genome. What is the most suitable assembler that would handle pacbio and that would let me also keep the two haplotypes separeted?

Best regards,

Carlos
With low coverage data, you will barely be able to assemble a decent un-separated (haploid) assembly. Typically we recommend about 60X coverage for haploid assembly, and twice that for diploid assembly, or else won't have enough coverage to sufficiently resolve both haplotypes

What does "Low coverage" equate to?

That said, FALCON or Canu are your best options at this point.

Last edited by gconcepcion; 10-28-2016 at 08:10 AM.
gconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gconcepcion View Post
With low coverage data, you will barely be able to assemble a decent un-separated (haploid) assembly. Typically we recommend about 60X coverage for haploid assembly, and twice that for diploid assembly, or else won't have enough coverage to sufficiently resolve both haplotypes

What does "Low coverage" equate to?

That said, FALCON or Canu are your best options at this point.
Hi,

10X, I wanted to say to help the assembly (scaffolding instead of denovo). I would like to use it for scaffolding in a diploid way.

Regards
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
gconcepcion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos View Post
Hi,

10X, I wanted to say to help the assembly (scaffolding instead of denovo). I would like to use it for scaffolding in a diploid way.

Regards
If you can shed some light on what you are trying to do, and what data you have to start with, it will make it easier for people to help you.

Now I understand that you are trying to scaffold short read data, and not perform Denovo assembly of low coverage pacbio data alone. How much short read data do you have? How large is the genome? What evidence do you have that the genome is highly polymorphic? Do you already have a short read assembly? How does it look?

To my knowledge, there are no current tools available for scaffolding short read assemblies with (extremely) low coverage pacbio data resulting in diploid assemblies.
gconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assembler, heterozygosity, pacbio, polymorphism