Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ion Torrent fastqc results

Previously I've used Illumina for my sequencing needs and recently I've been handed some Ion Torrent data to do RNA-Seq.

The fastqc results are significantly poorer than I'm used to. However, I do realise there is considerably different chemistry involved, and fastqc was designed for Illumina, so may not be giving accurate results.

Nevertheless, the large number of failed components is concerning and I was wondering if anyone experienced with Ion Torrent data can tell me if these results mean the samples need to be re-sequenced or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	summary.png
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	308917

One of my main concerns, other than quality, is the variable size of the total number of sequences per sample. These vary from 12703948 sequences to 50092930 sequences. Is this normal for Ion Torrent? How can I accurately calculate differential expression with such variable sequences numbers per sample?

Filename 5C_IonXpressRNA_009_rawlib.basecaller.bam
    File type Conventional base calls
    Encoding Sanger / Illumina 1.9
    Total Sequences 17356006
    Sequences flagged as poor quality 0
    Sequence length 8-352
    %GC 48

Name:	per_base_sequence.png
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	308919

Name:	per_sequence_gc.png
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	308921

Name:	sequence_duplication.png
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	308920

Name:	kmer.png
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	308918

Your data looks pretty normal for Ion Torrent. I do not use proton data since I'm in the low throughput microbe world. There are a couple of things going on here in your question.

First, your guess about the fastqc values not being equivalent are correct. there is a thread about it here http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33555 In my experience I have good quality data but my average Q score is in the range of 28-32, it seems to be a "depressed" score. It should be able to show you if your data takes a nose dive however.

Second the different sample sequences has more to due with the library prep then the tech. In general you make your library, normalize to 100uM ea, and then pool from there. If your samples are way out of balance it's most likely to that step either being skipped or just not done with a lot of accuracy.

For your differential analysis question, I'm sorry I'm not sure how to help you. I'm not really doing any of that type of work currently. Also there is a lot of information missing about the experiment to really get into it; however if you are doing whole transcriptome sequencing and each sample's library was prepped the same way wouldn't you be comparing some sort of transformed data? Like sample 1 has 2 fold diff and sample 3 has 4 fold diff with same treatment.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses